Auto merge

I wonder if that Auto Merge in the Spin tool actually does merge the seam och vertices along the pin - but - what it does not merge is the top and bottom center vertices. Those are all multiplied with the number of steps in the spin, and placed in the same location. So, by having 16 steps around the spin, it results in 16 center points at top and 16 center points at bottom. Merging by Distance (precviously “remove doubles”) will then remove the duplicates at top and bottom, which results in 30 ( (16-1) x 2) vertices being removed.

Does that sound reasonable?

Yes it does, I would have to look at the spin tool again myself to confirm it as not sure why its creating the extra and not merging them unless the default merge distance on the spin is too low.
Could well be a bug in that case as i dont remember it happening when i did the section but i was using an earlier version.

I’ll leave this as unsolved for now until i can check it later on

1 Like

I think what we have here is another wording issue with the blender UI and a change in function and they never updated the UI.
Previously the spin and merge would have removed the doubles as well but now thats not the case at all.
It does not remove the doubles any longer and only snaps them to the same location.
After performing a spin it looks like removing doubles (Merge by distance) has to be done manually.

After testing this its the only plausable reason i can find

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms