Attaching to meshes via sockets - why not move socket?

In the original course I think we spent a decent amount of time moving the socket around in order to get the rifle in the right position. In this video, instead, we moved the local transform on the weapon mesh in order to put the rifle at a relative position to the socket rather than moving the socket.

Why, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of either method?

Also noticed that the hands are not quite on the rifle as Sam mentioned. I was puzzling over mine so much, went back to the video and realised it isn’t aligned there either!

Yea this is confusing me a bit as well about this lecture. We’re spending time making sure the one hand is aligned correctly, but we don’t fix it on the other.

This seems like it could almost be a lecture into itself because each gun could potentially require a different hand positions.

Still I’d be interested in this one to see how at least make it work for this particular gun.

@sampattuzzi

Any chance we could see an update or guide on how to get that positioning into place?

We move the gun because what happens if you want to swap out the gun? You can’t chose a socket position that will work for weapon.

The second hand won’t align because the animation was for a different sized weapon. To get it to work you need to use IK and you need to switch off the IK with a curve from the animation (basically, the animation saying when the hand should be attached to the gun). This is beyond the scope of this course.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms