Arrow Dodger, a Microbe Madness texture swap

arrow dodger-1

https://sharemygame.com/@Noah_Wizard/arrow-dodger

Got done with Microbe Madness and kept fiddling.

I wanted a victory condition, so I added a thing to Update that checked the status of the color changer germs until they were all affected, but then I needed a way to let the player know they’d won.

Sometime back, Unity had a sale on this “cute” or “casual” GUI pack and I hoped there was a victory screen in there (and there was). Once I was in the GUI pack, I saw these other things I could swap the germs to be.

Once I found the knight with the arrow in his head- well, actually first I hoped to find a version without an arrow in his head but there wasn’t one, but that just led me in the direction of turning the bounce germs into arrows.

Adding the touch screen joystick was pretty easy; Brackeys had a video that sends you to a free Unity asset. But getting the joystick to talk to the visual scripting was harder work than I expected. For anyone who might care, you have to add the new class: Joystick, to the Visual Scripting “Type Options” in the project settings, and then “Regenerate Nodes” and then the Joystick class that comes with the joystick asset will show up in the node search.

Anyway, it was tons of fun once it came together. I thought about adding hit points, but actually the slowdown penalty is such an annoyance that it didn’t feel like hit points were necessary.

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks to Taryn for the course! It’s been a blast.
-Noah Wizard

[edit] ps, i just tried this on mobile, and the wigglers move around way more than when i play it on my pc; i don’t have the brainpower to figure out why that is, but it was a neat difference

Privacy & Terms