Array stairs in pyramid (with a problem)

So I did the array. At first I was confused becaused I tried it in edit mode and the modifier affected everything, so I had to create another object for the stairs. Now, my problem is as seen in the picture. I don’t know if it is because of the inclination of the handrails or because I can’t find the option when arrying, but I can’t make the stairs follow the same direction. I have tried with both relative and constant offset, but no luck. Any reason why my stairs are like this?

3 Likes

Check the scaling of the objects!
Because it strange that the Y,Z offsets are different.
In normal conditions, those are 1.

2 Likes

What are the dimensions of your original step?

To keep your steps connected, the z value always has to be 1 in the Relative offset. Only change the y value.

If your step is X m tall (z), and X m across (y), the relative offset values are y = 1 and z = 1. (Example, you’ve scaled your step to 0.5 meters on the z-axis, and 0.5 meters on the y-axis).

If your step doesn’t have the same dimensions in the y- and z-axis, you’ll need to do a bit of math to get it to fit.

I am no good with math, and I’m even worse at explaining it, so please bear with me x.x

To find the Relative Offset y-value, you have to divide your step’s y-axis with your step’s z-axis. Example: Your step is 2 meters across (y = 2m) and it’s 0.5 meters tall (z = 0.5m). Your Relative Offset y-value is then 0.5 / 2, and your Relative Offset z-value is still (always) 1.

I really hope it makes sense… x.x

Hi! Thanks both of you for your answers. I figured out what my problem was, and I think it was how I made the stairs themselves. As Breagha said, my stairs didn’t have the same dimensions in the y- and z-axis (they were quite long in the y-axis because I thought “nah, it’s hidden inside the pyramid, it’s okay to leave it like that”). Well, I was wrong.

So I checked the end of the video and did the same: a new stair with 0.25 in both y- and z-axis. This way, it was easier because the offset values were 1.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms