Armature and Lamp stem connection

The first version I decided to add a mirror modifier on the fasteners (Halfed-out uv-sphere) and the arms portion (cube) of the Lamp mechanical pivot point. Rigged them to a “Empty” and then parented them to the large circle base. Changing the anchor points so that the arms rotate around the center axis of the fasteners imitating one fluid piece.

The second version I created a separate cube and added a Boolean modifier of type (Difference) and placed over the center hole. Then grabbed an edge and merged with bottom edge to form a triangle. merged vertices and then applied the modifier. Afterwards I “Joined” the cube to the stem object to make one Object. Again I created another cube for the arms separate from the “Stem” object and added a mirror modifier; extended the arm towards the second mechanical pivot point ill be adding for this model version. Parented to an “Empty” and I kept the “Arms” separate from the stem to show a bracket style connection able to be animated separate from the Lamp stem.

The Third is a connection made with a combination of Boolean modifier on a cube then joined together with stem to make on object. No mirror modifiers are used in this version. just a combination of extruding and rotating geometry.

4 Likes

Very incredible design! How long have you been studying Blender? How do you study and take notes?

1 Like

Complex lamp bear in mind the course is about a beginning to the armature use and animating.

2 Likes

its been about a month or so. I’ve played around in the past with blender but always got sidetracked. Over the years I’ve piled up a lot of Udemy courses and haven’t made progress, so i claimed for this year to complete all course i have currently within one area. This area being blender to start. The next progression will be blender-> Godot. but that will be for a later decision.

I started out writing step by step notepad directions for everything I was doing with in blender but then stopped recently due to the length of time I was spending on typing other then practicing within blender. I’ve decided to instead to choose a more difficult route. A combination of multiple models for each section focusing on different styles and/or repeating an entire section with the knowledge I acquired to make sure I understand the workflow by heart. I then choose whether i should move onwards or comeback to the content depending on understanding or the current topic.

I realize the section will be slightly difficult so I decided to make a model according to the course as 1:1 as possible. Then the other two models are just variations of the same information just will have to be applied differently. My goal is to determine how each step can be understood for each type of model.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms