Arguments for maybe keeping modifiers

Thought a bit about what I might want to do to the board that would cause me to want to keep the array modifiers on. So I played around with raising individual squares and put a little emission edge on them. Since there’s a lot of similar geometry I could’ve probably gotten away with using the select similar tool even if I applied the modifiers though.

Looked pretty cool and might be nice for a more futuristic set. This wasn’t where I was planning on going with my project though, so I’m not sure whether this board will see any chess pieces on it.

I also tried a raised board which looked pretty fun. Almost like keycaps for a keyboard.

My first solution though was to just skip the array modifier altogether and use a shader instead since there’s already a built-in procedural checker texture. This won’t let me mess with the geometry of the board in the same way though. But at least right now I don’t think I will be doing much of that anyway.

5 Likes

Nice experimenting. Always better to keep modifiers on as long as possible imo. It’s good to get into the habit of non destructive modeling and easier to make changes. Select similar does not always behave as you would expect it to either.

Before making any major changes, I make an extra copy of the object and send it to a new collection or save it as a new file. Then afterwards I apply the modifiers. No risks necessary. Hope this helps :+1:

Privacy & Terms