Argon Assault Issue- Terrain Tools and Trees

I’m not sure if this is covered elsewhere, I searched and could not find it, so sorry if it is!

I’m doing Argon Assault lecture from the Unity 3D course and struggling early on. I’m using URP vs Built In and that may be the source of some of it. I have terrain going fine but the trees are a problem.

The asset pack Rick uses in the lecture has been discontinued and you can’t purchase it anymore. Fine, I grabbed some free low poly trees from the Asset Store. However, whenever I add the trees into the terrain tools I get the below warning, I’ve tried several different Asset packs of trees and always the same…

The tree Tree_Medium_E must use the Nature/Soft Occlusion shader. Otherwise billboarding/lighting will not work correctly.
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

If I go in and change the shader to nature soft occulsion, the trees just show as pink. If I set the shader to URP > Nature > SpeedTree7 then they show fine and the warning goes away, however it won’t load them in the scene or on camera until you’re very close to them, so it seems maybe something isn’t working.

Anyway am I nuts or is this an issue? How did others get this to work? I would say I can just go and use Built In but I should probably use URP anyway since that’s the Renderer of the future, no?

I may have solved(…) it - seems it is indeed an issue with URP not being able to render trees properly. It’s been known about for like 3 years it seems with no fix.

There is a manual workaround here, this fixed it for me, if anyone needs it -
https://forum.unity.com/threads/case-1227083-tree-nature-soft-occlusion-shader-in-urp.825825/

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms