Argon Assault: Gameplay Showcase

Hey hey GameDev community! (Hey Rick! Hope you see this :D).

First: Thanks to GameDev.TV for the great and engaging course and especially thanks to the #Unity channel over at the discord server for always being welcoming (and answering my stupid questions).

When Rick, back at Project Boost said: “This is no art course after all” - that stick with me. So here’s my gameplay-oriented version of Argon Assault. A 3 minute - playable - and gameplay-centric approach to the challenge.

What i’ve learned/achieved:

Click to expand: The good
  • Satisfying enemymovement, by using the Oscillator Script (Project Boost) with the TimeLine (Argon Assault)
  • Code an upgrade-system that scales with the player’s points (for-loop with multiple arrays)
  • Display various UI elements and code a ability-timer (cooldown-ability)
  • Activate/Deactivate enemies at certain time-stamps for the player to shoot at
  • Use editor attributes like [Tooltip] and [Header] to make my application more designer friendly (provide information)
  • Usage of ‘manager’-scripts to control health/points of large group of enemies

But most importantly: Read code, understand code. I tried to expose myself to as much code as possible, focusing on the gameplay-feel-side of things and not so much on the looks. Being able to get a snipped of code and change it in a way that fits my game is the most powerfull skill i’ve learned in this course. Still a long way to go though!

What i did not achieve (but want to … ):

Click to expand: The bad
  • Building systems that are modular, expandable and debuggable (its very tedious to add to the current state of the game and would need to be refactored from the ground up to do so)
  • Enemy-AI that actually interacts with the player
  • Understand game-architecture, meaning - im not yet able to code with architectural pillars in mind, to achieve a desinger friendly enviroment
  • Many more gameplay-features that would have been fun in theory :slight_smile:
  • Polish overall

Thats it! I wish all my GameDev colleagues lots of fun on their journeys. Happy coding!
Wanna sneak a peek at the code? This was, after all, a coding challenge!
You can do so here: [https://github.com/MishuBell/argon-assault] (Git with all the scripts)

I would really appreciate any feedback you might have on my game or the scripts. If you have the time to play it and let me know what you think, that would be great. Thank you so much!

IMPORTANT: Its possible that your browser will throw an error. I dont know what’s causing it, but clearing the cache helps. The javascript error says: indirect call to null :man_shrugging:

WASD for Movement
Left-Click to Shoot
Q for your drone ability (Cooldown! Use it wisely)
R for LaserSight
Z for … cheats :wink:
ESC to get your mouse back, to close the game just X the tab

Get as many points as possible to upgrade your ships weapons system. Level 4 grants you a ‘permanent’ drone companion to lash onto your enemies. You can loop this game endlessly, but your progress gets reset - so you’ll start at upgrade level 0 everytime. Enemies get progressively harder to hit!

Assets used in here:

Rocks: Low-Poly Micro Planet 2 | 3D model
Engine: Free Cylinder Jet Eninge | 3D model
Ship: F 15 C Eagle | 3D model
Music: Music by DSTechnician from Pixabay music

Privacy & Terms