Are we going to address the stutter?

I’ve got half a dozen lectures left or so here, and from the titles, I don’t see this. I distinctly recall Sam saying once or twice that we’d address the stutter late on, and I really hope we’re not going to leave this project in such state. I think that addressing the stutter would be a key component to getting anyone to build out on this and carry forward with it.

1 Like

This is the same major problem I’m having. It gets worse the longer you play too, sometimes pausing for more than a second or two as more areas are loaded ahead. This is the only major problem I am having, everything else I was able to find fixes for or workarounds as I ended up making slight changes to my version. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing! I am currently trying to figure out a different pooling system to try and make that stutter non-existent, if I find a solution I will share it with yall.

Hello Fred,

I ended up solving this in blueprint by doing the following:

I created a for each loop that had a delay built in to it. You need to build a new one, google it if you’re not sure how there are guides for making a for each with a delay in it. Just using “delay” in a for each won’t work. I then set up arrays for the tile types (I have 3 distinct kinds of tiles, desert, forest and a river bridge) and the arrays for each one held all the info about how much of each item to spawn and all the spawn parameters.

So all I did was have this run and pause for 0.2 or 0.3 seconds after spawning each category (e.g. barrels 3-6 of them, a certain kind of tree, 4-8 of those). I also cut down my sphere traces from 100 to 25 (maps are still fine with a much lower amount). Doing this allowed the game to spawn a few and not stack hundreds or even thousands of line traces on top of each other at once. The only issue with this is that you need to do something at the beginning of the game to distract the player. I built an intro sequence to cover up the initial spawn. During the game it’s fine since you’re spawning a tile or two ahead. The player won’t reach the next tile by the time everything spawns in in the background. Since doing that, I’ve had no issues at all with stutters or slow downs.

Privacy & Terms