Applying scale and rotation to bezier circle causes unwanted results

I was following the Blender Character Creation course, section 3 video 28 on udemy, where Grant teaches us to add the curve modifier to a a tank track plane to snap it onto a bezier circle. I got the desired result. When I scale the bezier circle and the track object, the expected result happens which is the tracks do not completely fill the circle anymore. At this point, Grant mentions to apply rotation and scale but when I do so, it creates distortions and unwanted rotations. If i only apply scale and rotation to the tank tracks, then it works fine with the tracks scaled, the remaining portion of the curve is filled with the track pieces again. So I am not able to apply scale and rotation to the bezier circle, which is what I want to solve.

After scaling, before applying scale and rotation to both:

After scaling, after applying scale and rotation to both:

After scaling, after applying scale and rotation to tracks only:

EDIT: Solved. Since the Bezier circle is rotated in the Y axis, applying the rotation was causing the unwanted results. Only applying scale, maintained the required shape and no distortions were created.

3 Likes

Well worked out.
Thanks for the update edit.

Basically you started out and made the track while there was a rotation in place.
So applying it when additional scaling was done corrected the original rotation as well. Messing up the track.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms