Applying Rotating Mover only to a certain static mesh from a BP

I’m trying to implement the Rotating Mover suggested in the final lecture to rotate the door of a BP_Cell_Door. My problem is that I don’t know how to access a specific static mesh of that BP. When I try to rotate it right now, I rotate the whole thing (SM_Cell_Front and SM_Cell_Door).

My guess is that I need to add something extra when setting the new rotation so it only affects the part of the BP that I want to. Something like this:

GetOwner()->(here I need to select the SM_Cell_Door)->SetActorRotation(NewRotation);

Does it make sense to use something like…

UStaticMesh* DoorToOpen = GetOwner()->FindComponentByClass<UStaticMesh>();

I think this link might be helpful for you. Sounds similar to what you’re trying to do.

and this might be as well:

(disclaimer: I’m still new to both cpp and ue)

In my mind, I think being able to open a door in the manner that youre describing is going to be a pretty common thing. I think I would want to implement a BP that has a specific function that handles the opening and closing of the doors, so i might create a cpp component that has an OpenLeft, OpenRight, OpenBoth functions that can be applied to any door. Then you can make those callable.

I might actually play with that as I’m about to get to the same point you’re at in the course. (i’m still on the grabber section)

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms