Applying Location Transforms to Meshes for Animations

The Ogre Mesh has transforms for the Mesh at world Origin, except for the Eyes where the Location Transform is not applied. Another tutorial by Grant Abbitt - Berk, does not apply transforms before rigging. A Model Mr. Squeegee Feet from Humane Rigging has Mesh with All transforms applied, except Loc Transform for the Eyes.

Which one is the best practice before rigging and animation and what is the advantage of resetting Location transforms before rigging ?

I thought zeroing out RotScale Transforms was to avoid malfunctioning constraints/modifiers during animations. But does it matter if the Location Transform is not zeroed out ?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that during the rig planning stage, if the rig-ger decides to lock the Location Transforms, thus telling the animator not to change the Location Transform during animation as in the case of the eyes, those meshes would not need the Location Tranforms zeroed out ?

1 Like

I think the rigger listens to the animator’s needs. Even so the sculptor, or mesh worker. It’s a team efford.

Like the storyboard has a scene where the puppet is stretched. Meaning more mesh to get a smooth transition …

Basically, you need to know upfront, what your puppets are used for. It is not one solution that fits all. Otherwise, you spend too much time on details never used. A good work process is needed.
Be capable to add upgraded meshes to rigs.

1 Like

As FedPete has said, there is not one answer.

It is a bit like asking, What is the right car to buy? The question covers too wide a set of uses for there to be a single right answer. So knowing the processes and how to set them differently helps you fit a project to what its needs will be.

1 Like

Thanks for the vague explanations.
Looks like the Answer is a Secret nobody wants to explain. :laughing:

Because it is difficult to pinpoint your problem.
Basically, it is best to apply transforms. Because they work on the mesh inside the object and not on the object itself.

Many students ask "What is the best …, and “The tutor works like this …”
In Blender, there is no right or wrong. If it works then it’s a good solution. Until you encounter a problem.
Every problem has a solution. If you say, I want the best solution, people want to know everything about your project. Is it illustration, is it for game development. Is it for animation? Does the character jump. …

Just rig a simple character, start to animate it. See what works for you. Start low poly, keep it simple. Start with a block or stick puppet. Build your difficulty and experience up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms