Anybody else struggling with VERY slow compile times?

I’m currently on lecture 155 of this section and for quite awhile now my C++ code has been compiling at a very slow rate. The issue seems to be worsening as well. Simply changing the value of a variable means waiting 5-10 minutes before I can continue working and it is beginning to sap my workflow and motivation.

Note: My header files are not cross-referencing each other, everything is forward-declared properly.

Any tips?

I’ve been having this issue as well. My wait times are nowhere close to yours, but my longest wait times have been about a minute long. Keep in mind, I have an i7 6700k though so it’s a pretty new CPU.

I drastically improved my times by deleting all derived files and folders including the massive .vc.db file, and then regenerating everything. Try this and let me know if it works.

Also, what are you RAM specs?

I’ll try this out then. I have DDR4 16 gb so memory shouldn’t be a problem for me.

Cool, I only ask because memory and data transfer rates make more of a difference than CPU power with compilation times. I have a CPU comparable to yours but only 8GB of memory and no SSD, so that would explain why your times are so much quicker.

I think it’s time for me to upgrade! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms