Any way we can break a Static Mesh into its original components?

Hi. At 2:20 Gavin merged all pieces of the maze into a single Static Mesh. Is there a way to diffuse the mesh back into its original components? Reason I’m asking this is I’ve picked a cool looking material for the ground, but in a later course I’ve realized that it’s highly damaging to my eyes. Now when I click the floor component the entire mesh gets selected, and all I need is make a small Material change to the floor only.

EDIT: I also need to make the walls lower. In a hindsight, their excessive height obstructs the game view.

Thanks.

Never mind, Gavin answered that question in the final section of this chapter, the one titled “Packaging Your Game,” from 0:38 - 1:03.

Short answer is that we need to start over with the BSP Geometry if we need to create a new maze (or have smaller walls), but Material can easily be applied onto our level by dragging and dropping.

Hi Stout,

This is also true of static meshes that are made in Maya or Blender, once those are exported you cannot break them up into the components or subobjects used to make the mesh. Though you can apply materials specifically to those individual parts.

Hi Tuomo. Thank you again for the clear explanation.
Cheers.

Privacy & Terms