Any way to disable the video player overlay in the GameDev.tv UI?

I completed a Blender course here, then an Unreal course, then I was out for a bit working on other things. I’ve come back to take another Unreal course but found the GameDev.tv video player has become virtually unusable with accessibility issues :frowning:

I don’t have the best eyes in the world, and have to have the brightness and scale set just right. I’m running a Macbook Pro and have tried Chrome and Safari with the same results.

When I pause a video in fullscreen, the player overlay takes up the entire screen, dimming it to the point where I can’t read it without cranking my brightness up to full. The overlay does not timeout and disappear at any point, presumably because my mouse is over the fullscreen view. When I resume playback, the brightness is too much, so I have to turn it back down again. That’s not really a workable cycle given that I’m likely to pause to look at something, think about something, type something several times in each video.

The only way to run the videos without the overlay is to come out of fullscreen, but then the player is locked to a small size which isn’t usable either when I’m staring at a block of code…

Is there a workaround for this please? Or, appreciating you may not entirely have control over your player, to change it to stop the fullscreen dimming overlay maybe?

For the Unreal course I’ve just started, my own workaround is to go take it over at Udemy. I have a lot of courses on GameDev.tv though, and I’d rather have here as my home :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I agree with this. It is bothersome that it dims and brightens.

In my setup, I have the player on my second monitor and whenever my mouse is over the video, the overlay comes up and dims the screen significantly. It is annoying and does bother my eyes as well.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms