Any interest in a 'Community Project?

NOTE: This is a question to everyone, but I suppose is a bit more directed to those of you who have little/no experience with Unreal outside of this course and who need the experience/practice.

Have any of you thought about coming together and doing a small project, taking what is learned in a section, and actually utilizing it in a “community built game” that, if he would be interested, Ben could use to help showcase what students have learned to create through this course?

For instance, Section 3… I feel there’s enough here that a rather substantial puzzle game of some sort could be made just using the content discussed.

8 Likes

Community projects would be interesting.

It would be a great way to pair people like me that love the programming side of it, but have no real graphic arts talent with artists from the blender course.

Of course there would have to be a lot of discussion before starting. Game genre/type, long term goals, whether the game will be released for free, or sold or monetized in other ways (microtransactions, in game ads, etc), profit sharing (if any), how to handle bringing on additional talent.

If you’re going to make a game thats released for free and isn’t monetized, that’s rather simple, from a business standpoint. But if you’re planning on making money off of it by selling it, membership fees, in game ads, or microtransactions, or other as of yet unknown ways, you are basically starting a business.

2 Likes

I’d love to be involved in a community built game! I’ve only been using Unity so far, so I’m more inclined to join a Unity project than an Unreal one.

I’ve got a solid programming background but don’t really have the patience for creating graphics, either models or sprites. The most I’ve done is taken some already created images and modified them to suit my purpose.

3 Likes

I would love to do this! also this could be a very nice adv for GamedevTV, to see what Ben Tristems students are able to after taking this course!

4 Likes

I’m up for this!

3 Likes

I’d need to get myself through the courses but this sounds intriguing.

2 Likes

This could be a cool thing to do, especially if Ben shares his input on the subject now and then, giving some advice. I guess most people, including myself, haven’t used source control for a shared project. Would be interesting if Ben could recommend us the optimal way to handle that (Maybe a short video in the courses? ;^) ).

3 Likes

Well, from the Blender course, I’m always up for making maps/props/characters! :smiley:

I would be entirely down for this.

3 Likes

it is my goal as soon as i complete the unity course :slight_smile:
sadly, im so close yet so far. im at bowl master (things are just getting so rough i’ve got burned out 2 times in this section ) well hopefully i can finish it.

3 Likes

I would be interested in this, if it were done in unity. I’ve got a ways to go before I’m able to help coding, just started Glitch Garden, but as of right now I could help with planning and brainstorming.

2 Likes

Seems very hard to manage such a project, but I’d be into it.

2 Likes

I’d be game to try it. I’m still pretty unsure of my skill set though but sounds fun!

1 Like

Yeah, I was going to say - what if we want to work on a Unity project instead of an Unreal one? :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry Ben, didn’t realize you copied this from the old forum!

Well, as the person who sparked this idea, I obviously think this idea is brilliant, stunning, and all sorts of other egotistical adjectives.

Seriously though, would love to do this if people can come together.

3 Likes

I agree with the Unity approach as well. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

2 Likes

@ben I love this idea! I’m doing the Unity3D course. anyway you could create another thread for that engine to see if we can get something started? I would sign up if we do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe there can be two community projects - one in Unity and one in Unreal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sign me up!

2 Likes

I am in the midst of the blender course, but I could help with game assets. This would be really cool like the blender course and Unreal course coming together. What would be real awesome is if we incorporated the photon multiplayer system that I assume the course for that is on the way.

1 Like

I think there are some natural benchmarks in the Unity course where a group of students could create an awesome project. However an important aspect of game development not currently covered is the initial game design for original projects. Most development teams have some basic yet essential roles:

• Developer/Programmer
  • Designer
  • Artist
  • Musician
  • Promoter

You can get around some roles by purchasing assets like music and art or finding team members with skills in more than one area. However, game design isn’t discussed much in the lessons as it could be a separate course (often is in at universities), and that is where a team would need to start. And as Ben stated there are a lot of things to discuss and decide on in “pre-production.”

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms