Any chance there is a tutorial somewhere on making On Rail Shooter Game?

Hello everyone!

I am a student of the unreal engine course as well as a few others. I have gotten the basics down in unreal 4 and unity and am deciding to pursue a full game development on my own. I have a passion for the forgotten gamestyle of the once popular On Rail Shooter Genre. I have the skills to take on most areas needed for my particular idea, but was unsure how to handle player movement and events.

In particular, I am talking about how the player is moved by the game in old arcade shooters like Time Crisis, House of the Dead, Area 51 etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good tutorial or hints on how to handle player movement for these types of games. The player doesn’t choose when to move, rather the camera moves when a player kills all the enemies on screen, then moves to next area. I was considering using events and triggers based on enemies remaining in each area or timers but I have never handled this type of gameplay before.

Is there anyone out there with any helpful insight or something to point to?

Hi

They now do a starfox style rail shooter in the Unity v2 course.
I saw this and thought to update the thread.

1 Like

Hey Alejandro,

As @Marc_Carlyon says, this is covered in our new Complete Unity Developer 2.0 course :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms