Anvil!

I feel that 3D Initiation cannot be completed without making a donunt, an anvil and a chair. Time has come for an anvil :slight_smile:

Let’s start with end result:

And a video:

And the topology:

And some thoughts on the process:

• Andrew’s tutorial is for 2.79, but it’s quite applicable nowadays
  • There are couple of new little things here and there than I’ve learnt (mostly about topology and few tricks in painting - like adding a scratches)
  • Arguably Andrew made a couple of mistakes (e.g., his new textures tile differently, so marking seams before sudiv result in some visible stretching or not having a hardy and pritchel holes all the way through)
  • Even for such simple of an object - baking in Blender is not perfect.
  • Painting tools in blender are OK if you have good base textures
  • Feedback and iteration speed is key - I got a lot of feedback on :leaf: discord and this made the final result way better.
  • Doing research on subject matter is really helpful. I didn’t start with researching anvils and made a couple of mistakes at first.
  • Substance saves a lot of time. In 15 seconds one can achieve this:

And a few notes from my research on anvils:

• anvil come in all shapes and forms,
  • can be very shiny or very matte,
  • the top part is usually steel (more shiny), the body is usually iron
  • the medieval anvils don’t really look like the one we think (the horned ones) - they are really simple box shaped things
  • the shape of the anvil, the holes, etc. - everything has a function
  • the usual placement on a tree log (not a stump!) is due to increasing energy absorption, resonance reduction and noise reduction - but anvils can be placed on many different things, depending on the goal of “station”
  • anvil “texture” can be as busy as the one I made (or more), or much less busy - for 3d modelling it might be good to start with a history of a given anvil and work from that. On ‘extreme’ end I’ve seen one anvil that was painted… in green paint!
  • working with iron looks like fun!
6 Likes

A great pair of old long unused rusted up anvils!

Scrap iron, or a fair bit of work cleaning up for any use anyway.

1 Like

While the texture is very realistic. I got the feeling the scale of the texture is too big.
Maybe its use is too much … it is too strong … it captures to eye instead of the object captures the eye.

But still great examples.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

It’s hard to stop painting :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

2 Likes

nice texture

1 Like

Privacy & Terms