Another way to get assets from an earlier version of Unreal into Unreal 5

Because my earlier versions of Unreal took up quite a lot of gigabytes of disk space, I deleted those versions but kept my prior projects. I then downloaded the Unreal 5 version. To bring in the assets from my Unreal vault that show that they work in earlier versions, I simply selected an older project to bring them into. I don’t have to have that older version of Unreal. I just tell it that I want it in that project. Then, instead of migrating, I simply go to the older project folder and copy the directory containing the contents of the downloaded assets to the Unreal 5 project I’m working on. The assets, including the demo scenes load up into the Unreal 5 project without any problem. Migration simply means “move”. It doesn’t do any conversions that I know of.

1 Like

Doing a file copy is essentially the same for migrate. This doesn’t work for every asset and you may encounter issues this way. Really you just need a minimal install of 4.27 and that will ensure there are no issues.

Migration also ensures that all dependencies are brought over automatically instead of you having to copy them manually.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms