Animation revised

I think it got better, but still feels a bit off maybe, and I have a hop or two left to animate!

3 Likes

It is looking good, and I like the scene- and I noticed the “sad” box face.

The hop needs some tilting action. Right now it is landing flat. Rather, have its bottom end leap off the front tip, then tilt forward as it comes in to land, and begin landing on its back edge. Then ease it to the rest of the base bottom.

Here are some References if you want an example of what I mean:

(Random Youtube Video)

(GameDev: The Meddling Lamp)

But if that does not work out for you, you could always opt out for this method:
(GameDev: LampCopter)

(Last: Gamedev: Lamp Animation- Portal Style): does not follow what I said, but still moves the lamp really well.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, that’s a delivery box from Amazon Prime. When folks shop on Amazon, and have items delivered, those are the types of boxes items are delivered in, especially large items.

Prime is also one of their membership types, so folks save some money if they’re a Prime member. I see their delivery trucks all the time.

1 Like

Thanks for all the references - I can see all have managed to express momentum one way or another whereas my movements still look a little ‘picked up and moved’.

@Miss_B I used an image of an amazon box I googled and corrected the perspective on and then I subtly made the ‘sad face’ with a little rearrangement & scribbled in a replacement brand name.

1 Like

I can see the importance of blocking out broad movements first, since it’s starting to feel like a nightmare to push everything about if I have to adjust the timing!

Maybe even refining a very short step at a time before moving on would be a good workflow?

3 Likes

Even that little “tilt” at the beginning has improved your lamps movement.

One thing I often like to do before I do a project is a gather tons of reference materials and spend time with them until I am comfortable with the material. It does not mean I gain mastery of the subject matter, but it gets me familiar with it. In this case, when I did this section, I simply rewatched a bunch of Pixar short animations featuring a lamp. This greatly informed my own lamp’s movement.

Perfect? No, but it helped.

2 Likes

Looking good, I like the top box getting nudged as the lamp lands.

2 Likes

PORTAL!!! I love this idea

1 Like

If you do, it was done by a student in this community. Search it and give it a like and a comment :wink: .

1 Like

Privacy & Terms