An easy way to "break" a piece?

I opted to make more of a draconid/human character. Will share when the sculpt is done. Not sure if I want to go this route yet, but… My character has multiple horns, and I was wondering… Is there an “easy” way to say… have one of the horns, say after applying the mirror modifier, have a tip or piece broken off? Is there a way to do this in sculpt mode, or would I have to go into edit? Essentially I’m thinking as if I was sculpting with clay, and took a wire and just lobbed off a piece.

May or may not end up doing it, but it would definitely add character, and as someone who loves more animalistic based characters and creatures, I imagine this could be a VERY useful technique for myself in the future.

(Side note in case relevant: Complete blender noob. This is my first project ever in sculpt mode, and I only know of the tools used in the tutorial so far. Do have a tablet from a previous purchase).

2 Likes

Yes, so long as you are not using a mirror or sculpt’s version, symmetry, then you can go to edit mode and cut a bit off. I would us C, to paint select all I want off, then Y. Then link select the bit you had and it will move, so is separated.
Select the cut off part with L for linked with the mouse hovering over the bit you want to select.
Then press P, ‘by selection’.

2 Likes

Thanks! This worked! Now, my noobiness stated, is there an easy way to cap off the end? I ended up doing it just by meticulously selecting the many, many edges of the now open end, then new face from edge, moved it out a bit as there was significant overlapping. Back to sculpt mode, retopology, then smoothed any remaining rough bits, and it looks pretty good. Just curious as to whether there’s a more efficient way.

1 Like

No, using that method which is quite good at the 'breaking off, is more messy sealing the end, if there are a lot of verts involved. If they need to go back at any point it is essential not to move the edge verts. Just build the missing space over, much as it sounds you have done.

2 Likes

You can use the boolean operator.
Or the Bisect tool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms