Am I hallucinating?

Hi guys,

Before reading on, note that I also completed the Displaying Experience lecture before writing this post.

I’m noticing some weird behavior with the saving system and experience points. If I kill an enemy and manually save by pressing S, then it saves the experience.
I can tell because when I press L to load, it still shows 10 XP, which is what I got from killing the enemy. No error messages, nothing at all. Everything’s fine when I do this.

However, now, when I enter a different scene, the XP resets to 0. In addition, I get a bunch of red warnings when I switch scenes:

Following the errors, I looked at my experience display script in update. Here is the ExperienceDisplay script:

using System;
using UnityEngine;
using UnityEngine.UI;

namespace RPG.Attributes
{
    public class ExperienceDisplay : MonoBehaviour
    {
        Experience experience;
        Text xpText;

private void Awake()
        {
            experience = GameObject.FindWithTag("Player").GetComponent<Experience>();
            xpText = gameObject.GetComponent<Text>();
        }

private void Update()
        {

xpText.text = string.Format("{0:0}", experience.GetPoints());
        }
    }
}

I noticed if I add if (experience == null) return; right before setting the text, the log messages go away, but the XP still doesn’t load properly. I’m not sure if it’s something to do with how I wrote the experience display script, or if I messed up something in the saving system or even switching between scenes.

For reference, here is Experience.cs:

using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using RPG.Saving;

namespace RPG.Attributes
{
    public class Experience : MonoBehaviour, ISaveable
    {
        [SerializeField] float experiencePoints = 0;

public void GainExperience(float experience)
        {
            experiencePoints += experience;
        }

public float GetPoints()
        {
            return experiencePoints;
        }

public object CaptureState()
        {
            return experiencePoints;
        }

public void RestoreState(object state)
        {
            experiencePoints = (float)state;
        }
    }
}

Thanks for your time and help!

Does your player in the other scene have an Experience component? Is the player tagged “Player”? Is it the only thing in the scene tagged “Player”?

Thanks! Silly me, the player in the other scene didn’t have an experience component.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms