Alternative method to keep a clean geometry

Hey,

I like this part, it seems very simple but I had to redo it a few times differently to make it look as expected.

Here is how I created the first part of the car turret. I only used a single cube to keep a clean geometry.

car-top6

1 Like

Interesting. You have geometry going inside other parts and no real reason not to.

I would just make it in one. Back row preserves quads.

Thanks for your reply, indeed it’s even cleaner. I tried something similar but my goal was to make the green and red faces exactly at the same position on the y axis, like if it was a single object. The extrusion from the base seemed to be the best way to do it.

I am wondering, in which case having geometry going inside other parts would be a problem ? I suppose in animation, but are there other reasons ?

IF I recall I did just line up those red and green faces, making the verts merge. Or perhaps it was the front one I did, no reason the back one could not as well.

There are things like 3D printing that requires manifold meshes. All one no holes. Some animation cases possibly. It is as much habit and preference I guess. Many do make meshes out of separate unconnected parts. It works fine most of the time. Things like had you wanted a soft bevelled corner between the two parts would have been less easy.

Privacy & Terms