Already animated armature breaks my model when switching to vertex group binding

I have already rendered the animation the way I wanted it and am now switching to the binding via armatures. However, this caused the animation to be broken. Can anyone tell me what happened here?
This was my first try: https://youtu.be/V-Hz7oGcb0o
Then after parenting the entire model to the armature as “bone”: https://youtu.be/bSbmLo1bPxM

They both look broken.

It will need going back and checking in stages to see where it starts not following the bones.

It seems likely to be a parenting issue, Might go back to unapplied rotations and scales.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also include the lecture time that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for answering. Yeah obviously both are broken but I do not understand what’s going on there. I applied all transformations but interestingly enough, it appears that I can “apply all transforms” multiple times?
Start situation:
After “Apply → All transforms” once:
After “Apply → All transforms” twice:

After 3 times:

This behaves the same whether I have an armature modifier applied or not, the lamp just doesn’t get ripped in this situation (It still turns a bit with every apply).
Also noteworthy: The lamp does not have a parent and also no modifiers and still I can’t move the armature without moving the lamp…

So I guess the relevant question is: I have no parenting and no armature modifier, what else could cause a relation between armature and my mesh object?

You have a way more complex armature than the course. This style can be done and you might be able to find on this site an example of someone that got it working. I recall seeing once.

My advice is to replace the complicated arms and get a basic set up working following the course exactly.

1 Like

My goal here is not to complete the lesson, I already rendered a video using the armature so I solved all armature related issues. Jumping Lamp - YouTube

The question I’m trying to find an answer for is how to analyze the relation between the armature and my model despite no discernible relation between the two are visible to me.

Logically there must be some parenting going on or it would not move the mesh at all, and probably with unapplied scales and or rotations.
Unless there are perhaps animations of objects clashing with those of the armature?

Have you de parented every object?
Are any vertex groups rightly associated with each bone?

1 Like

The Vertex Groups are named identical to the bones but no Armature Constraint is present (see screenshot).
I checked every single bone for parent relationships but nothing is there. I don’t know where I can see if vertex groups are associated to a bone other than checking that no armature modifier is present.

However, by this point I apparently also broke the entire armature (the IK bones now cause the rig to spasm out completely) so I actually give this up and just move on.
Thank you for your effort regardless :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms