All of My Chess Pieces finished

Here are all of my pieces shown as faceted, simple wireframe, subdivided wireframe(orange) and subdivided smooth shaded with textures!

The bishop was the most difficult. The Knight was the most fun!

5 Likes

Beautifully presented!

Great mid to high poly set.

Interesting you used that spherical cube even on the pawn head. It cant have been joined to the body? Why not the UV sphere of matching segments?

2 Likes

I agree, a great presentation. I don’t think I would’ve even thought of presenting all 3 versions, up close and personal, of each piece in one image. Makes them very easily viewable. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks!

There are a few inconsistencies with the pieces. The bishop has a UV sphere and the queen has an icosphere!!.

None of the spheres are properly attached to the bodies! All models I ever receive as a compositor (That’s what I do!) have used quads only.
Triangles, poles of more than 5 spokes and the use of creasing are frowned upon so I thought to avoid them. Until I realised I did not know how to properly attach them!

Well Spotted. I think I could do a much better job of all the pieces if I started again but I am keen to get on with the rest of the course so I will come back and do them at a later date. I need to know much more!

I’m going to put it on blendswap - There is no better way to find out why everything is terrible than to make it available to everyone!!

1 Like

Oh so it is, the queen’s top pip an icosphere Triangles! :grin:

Um what does a compositor do with the models?

1 Like

@NP5 . I use Nuke and Flame to create mattes and extract depth information for use in deep compositing setups. In After Effects I use The awesome Element 3D by Videocopilot, again usually for matte creation but occasionally I do actually render composite 3d objects for things like title sequences. I also light and render scenes and models I receive in Maya and Position effects around geometry using Houdini For use in Nuke. I then take camera Tracking information from syntheyes or PFTrack (even Blenders camera tracker once or twice!) and composite the lot into something neither the artist or the director is happy with.

You can see my showreel from about 7 years ago here:
https://www.ianmcglasham.com/About-Me

!! Ive been out of it for a while and I miss it.

2 Likes

That’s one heck of a showreal!! I loved watching it. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks @Miss_B. I am keen to get back onto the frontline of the visual effects industry if I can. This seems like a great place to restart it all. Interesting (in many ways!) tutorials and most importantly an active community with people like yourself to chat to and get some good feedback and advice.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms