After retopologizing (and a mouth)

I want to eventually add a mouth to my character (who will speak). Should I do that directly after retopology, or should I wait until the finer sculpting and baking are done?

Also, I’m a little confused about the immediate steps after retopology. Am I creating a copy to do the finer sculpting (and multires, etc.) and then baking the details to the copy I didn’t sculpt (the 2nd time)? I will be animating the character. I’m a little worried about undoing the hard work I did on retopology (it took me a long time).

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you,

Dave

2 Likes

The workflow Grant uses is to sculpt a fully fine detailed character first. Then make a low poly retopologised version of it. Then bake the details from the high detail sculpt onto the low poly good topology version.

Usually it is best to do the course all the way through making the course item. Then start again with some idea or character of your own, after you have experienced the full process and know what the process is.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you. I’m following along in the course, but I’m at the point in the course that he’s just retopologized the dragon. Now he’s going back and adding more detail in what he calls a 'fine sculpt." Is he doing the fine sculpt on the original (not-retopologized) build? Or does he fine sculpt the new low-poly build? From the explanation, it seems like the latter, but if that’s the case, I’m not sure what the purpose of doing retopo at that point was. I’m sure there is one, I’m just not clear what it is. I’m fairly new to this, so I appreciate everyone’s patience. I’m still learning certain concepts.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This is the multires workflow. Straight sculpt workflow is do all sculpting, retopo, UV unwrap, bake normal. In multires workflow you sculpt main details, retopo, then use multires to sculpt details then finer details, then UV unwrap, and bake highest multires to base. Grant even mentions a couple of times while doing the initial sculpt that he is adding to much detail, because it will have to be redone in the multires stage. Note:The multires modifier was broke for a few versions which is why Grant is use to just doing straight sculpt workflow.

1 Like

Okay. That’s very helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

Sorry this got bumped and I had a prepared post ready that reappeared?! I guess I closed down some time before posting it, so here it is belatedly.

Ah the dragon course not the character one.
It is a bit different as Dwayne explains.
I think it rather daft too. In that the multires route is better imo, but you start by box modelling not sculpting. In effect another way to describe it is starting with the (re)topology. Then add the multires levels to use the sculpting tools on. Then the highest res details can be baked down onto the lowest base mesh.

Multires on, sculpt detail.

Multires off, actual geometry.

Really must get back to this sometime. Got abandoned due to computer struggling. Need to take a lot of verts out of the feet too they are over the top.

3 Likes

Thank you for this. Yeah, I was kind of wondering why we didn’t start with box modeling. Of course, being a beginner, I didn’t know enough to ask the right questions. As it turns out, with the more cartoon-like look I’m going for, I might not need to sculpt more detail. Not sure yet. In general, I just got confused as to what mesh to use where. I think I’m clear now. Thanks again.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms