Advice please Substance

Hi all.
Steam is having a sale at the mo and i have been looking at Substance painter. Should i get it to help my texture flow or learn blender more

1 Like

Depends on you really…

I have no experience with Substance Painter, but it seems to deal with UV unwrapping tasks a lot better than Blender… I guess that if you were part of a team and your sole job was texture painting then it would be an essential investment… for personal use where you are in charge of the whole pipeline it may be overkill as you can achieve similar results in Blender - you may just need to take a couple of extra steps to get there.

Again, this is something only you can truly answer, as texture painting is something you can specialize in as a digital artist it depends on how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go.

Good luck on making your decision.

1 Like

Thanks for reply jaco.

I am a hobbyist aiming for short animated sketches with a decent look. Starting with low poly characters then adding more detail in the future (hopefully).

1 Like

I find this substance painter discussion always a bit strange. Blender is free, has similar functionality as substance painter where you need to pay for. If you learn Blender there is no real need for this tool, besides that it seems to be easier. Having also it’s quirks.
But then why don’t people support Blender and be part of the Blender developer fund

1 Like

I have no experience using Substance Painter myself, but I beta test for someone who does use it, and though his texturing always looks great, if I wanted to create a separate texture set for any of his projects (mostly clothing), I can’t because his UV map doesn’t indicate any matzones (material zones) which is how I texture anything I model myself.

I happen to like Blender’s UV Editor, so I wouldn’t have any use for Substance Painter. That said, however, as Jaco mentioned, it depends on the type of work you’ll be doing with it.

Thanks for the reply Miss B.
My problem with the blender texture paint is straight lines on clothes. I like your mat zone idea.
I shall have a go at that.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms