Adding Bots to multiplayer games

Original post:

Been doing the Unity RTS Multiplayer course. I think a nice extension to this course would be to see how to add computer controlled players to what is by default a multiplayer game, eg to “fill up the lobby”.
I think building a multiplayer game that you can play single player makes more sense than making a single player game and trying to convert it into a multiplayer game.
In the course at the moment each connection gets allocated as a player, but it’s unclear to me how you could have “players” that aren’t created from a connection / how to decouple player entities from connections and treat an AI “enemy” in the same way as a human “enemy”. I think learning this would allow for the creation of more flexible games.
It could also lead on to implementing AI, although I think that would probably be another topic as it spans both single and multiplayer games and would detract from the Mirror focus of the course.
The course as it stands also implements a “first step” into using Steam as a connection agent which may allow for writing the requirements to properly host on Steam (looking at some of the Steamworks notes I think paying $100 for a token to host your game against, you could probably get it working with what was in the course), but a similar outline for Epic would be… well Epic :slight_smile: .

Privacy & Terms