"Add Trees To Terrain" - issue with tree rotation and textures

I am following the 3D Unity course and reached the point of adding trees to terrain. The standard asset pack suggested by the course is no longer available on the Unity Store, so I downloaded “Realistic Tree Pack Vol.1”.

The pack contains two prefab trees. In the assets window at the bottom, the trees appear to be on their sides:

However, dragging the trees onto my terrain works fine - they are right way up and display correctly. However, if I add the trees to the “Paint Trees” option in Terrain, I encounter two issues. The trees are horizontal, and the leaves don’t display.

The models for these trees are split into a number of components I don’t really understand.

For the rotation issue, I tried the option in the models to “Bake Axis Conversion”, but all that did was to flip the trees in the Z axis (so they point the opposite way).

I know this is a lot, but does anyone know a fix for this? Or do I just need to find a different tree asset?

Hi,

I’ve taken a look at the reviews in the Assets store, and somebody suggested a potential fix. Look for “Rotation Fix in One Click !”.

Have you already tested that solution?

See also:

Sorry for the late reply! My email notification didn’t go into my Primary inbox.

I tried the solution but it doesn’t seem to change anything - I still can’t use the trees in the Terrain tool. Based on other rules it seems like the models are not created as trees and therefore are not compatible with Unity in that way. I found an alternative tree package in the store.

In any case, thanks for your response.

I’m glad you found an alternative. Would you mind sharing the link here, so other students could test the trees, too?

The asset pack I got as an alternative is Nature Starter Kit 2:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms