Action Games with tight game feel, that's what I love and want to make

Newbie here, working my way through the unreal course. Nice to meet you all!

I wanted to start a quick discussion to get some perspective on what it would take to make a tight action game. I hope some of the pros chime in.

I love hack ‘n’ slash games, quick ones like Bayonetta, and slower ones like Bloodborne.
FPS games also hook me, if they manage to be tight. The new DOOM was phenomenal.

My favorite action game of all time however is Metal Gear Solid 5. I keep coming back to it just because I love the game feel. I’d argue that it isn’t close to being the best game of all time, or even the best in the Metal Gear franchise. However, purely on its game-play I keep coming back. That says a lot, especially since the tasks and mission variety in the game are very lacking.

In the game, Snake responds to every button press very quickly, he moves fast, yet the animations and player feedback flow seamlessly.
By comparison, GTAV also focuses on seamless flow but has characters that move more slowly, animations take longer time, and everything is more realistic in that sense. This stuff bores me. Metal gear simply seems to hit a sweet spot that draws me in.

What would it take to program a game experience that flows seamlessly with the tight player-character connection that Metal Gear Solid 5 offers?

I am aware a lot of it is in the animations and sound design too.

Here is a random gameplay clip of a speed-runner for reference

youtube clip

Hello! It seems you’re quite knowledgeable about action-packed games, from fast-paced ones like Bayonetta to adrenaline-fueled shooters like DOOM. Speaking of exciting experiences, have you ever thought about exploring the world of sports betting with MelBet? They offer a wide range of bets on popular sports such as football, tennis, basketball, and more. Check out the football betting options on their website https://melbet.org/en/line/football and discover the thrill of predicting match outcomes while enjoying your favorite sport! It’s fascinating to see how principles of game design can intersect with real-world experiences like sports betting. Find the perfect balance between engagement and enjoyment in both virtual and real-life adventures!

Privacy & Terms