About 'Weight Painting'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Look at an alternative way of assigning vertex groups
  2. Understand the brush tools are the same as with texture painting

After watching (learning outcomes)…

You will be able to use weight paint to control the geometry of your models

(Unique Video Reference: 10_PW_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

2 Likes

Here is my challenge. I did add a ground texture and an HDRI just for fun.

3 Likes

I did a little more on the scene after watching the conclusion of the Lecture. I did not put shader reflections in the Eevee Camera settings and when I did it added a bit more realism.

2 Likes

Also added height-depenent color :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Used texture painting to make a black and white image to blend between gravel material and grass material

1 Like

Okay so i actually put the extra mile into this one as by now students should be able to achieve this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

2 Likes

Here is my vertex painted river.

2 Likes

Same image in Eevee and Cycles. Added - HDRI map and the sun, volumetrics for haze (as explained in Section 1), free texture for the ground (PBR workflow), displacement for water.

Now interested in the image of irresistiblejelly… which I am not sure yet what makes water looks like this - just transparency or something else…

3 Likes

There ya go :slight_smile: And some lighting effects and the bells and whistles :slight_smile:

Just remember in screen space reflections in eevee to turn on the refraction option.

2 Likes

Wow! Thank you, irresistiblejelly!
That would be nice to work on as a bonus on this lecture!

1 Like

Well, it took some time. Especially to find ALL the places to switch on so Eevee can show transparency of water. Not sure I still remember them, so I copypaste an answer by strategaD I found on Blender Stackexchange forum:

1. Render → Screen Space Reflections ON
  2. Render → Screen Space Reflections → Refraction ON
  3. Material → Surface → Principled BSDF → Transmission 1.000
  4. Material → Surface → Principled BSDF → Roughness PLAY WITH IT
  5. Material → Settings → Blend Mode OPAQUE
  6. Material → Settings → Screen Space Refraction ON

P.S. I didn’t use the Principled BSDF (used the one by irresistiblejelly instead), so skipped 3 and 4.

5 Likes

And one more. I hope the last one so I can move on with the course. While looking at the last render I was thinking: “Miss some grass here.” And today found a nice grass tutorial which I could combine with the weight painting from this lecture and terrain creation with modifiers. So, here it is. Above - pure render as it came from Eevee, below, some postwork in Photoshop. From one side I am surprised how easy it goes, from another - still a lot to learn and spend time to gain experience.

As a compliment to Michael… I tried to follow a tutorial before, but was kind of just blindly following the instructor, getting lost sometimes and not knowing how to get out. This time felt more confidence and could understand WHAT I was doing and WHY. So, thank you!

9 Likes

Awesome work!

I am not a great fan of Monkey see Monkey do tutorials, I am glad I have struck a good balance that has helped you understand what you are doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Monkey see Monkey do tutorials? Ah! That explains the Suzanne being the mascotte of blender :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is my attempt! Great course so far…

3 Likes

It’s more a crash course (fun intended). I decided to keep it simple, because somehow my poly count explodes and my computer follows.

Besides my vertex paint I added an extra marble texture displacement. This texture I controlled with an additional vertex-group. This made it possible to activate parts of the marble texture on certain places on the map. Creating soft slopes or crevasses.

The texture of the landscape is colorized by using the z-ax value.

I had the intention to add some trees (particles), but this project leads to crashes on my machine. So I could go for baking options, applying modifiers and so on. But no inspiration here.

This brings me back to the time of the Brice application. Which is still available today I see.

Have fun, keep rendering.

3 Likes

here is mine but all tools of lowering the land are missing in my 2.8 full version? is there a new way to substract or lower the terain maybe a key?

nosubtrackt

nosubtrackt
only tools to highten the map? like wtf?

why isnt my last picture showing ???

Privacy & Terms