About 'The Player Character'!

In this video (objectives)…

1 Create a Player scene that inherits from the Character scene 2 Create a Player script that extends the Character script 3 make the player character move and look at the mouse position

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Inheriting scenes and extending scripts

(Unique Video Reference: 4_HM_GDT)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I hate how easy it is to rotate things in Godot with “look_at()” function. I decided to try it myself before you showed it so i took mouse vector, player vector and x axis vector and started to try all sorts of weird math operations to get angle between cousor and x-axis in a player’s frame of reference. After half an hour i just continued with lesson and saw that cheat of a function.

That’s the thing with Godot - in most cases you don’t even need to know linear algebra in a situations that are obviously math-dependent and my first thought is “ok, let’s start writting down some vectors”.

This reply does not improve the conversation, but i had to write it down to release some of my disappointment. It’s supposed to be hard god damn it! :smiley:

3 Likes

You should have seen me messing around with dot products for a week before realising I could just use angle_to()…

1 Like

Privacy & Terms