About 'Texturing Basics End Of Section Challenge'!

1. Go through your scene and texture the surfaces
  2. Use textures that you think complement the surface
  3. Use image based textures, generated or a mix
  4. Did you know that volumetrics can be textured?

(Unique Video Reference: 29_TB_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Bridge and a dragon in the dark :

15 Likes

I haven’t finished viewing this entire lecture as I have stopped to do the challenge. Here is my scene of a Castle with the fog rolling in (yes, I used a procedural texture on the volumetrics). The only thing I cannot get to look right is the moon I have in the background. It has a moon texture on it (image) and I have a sun lighting it. But the sun is also lighting the scene so I cannot bring the strength up enough to show the moon without having it wash out the effect of the scene. I have tried an emission material on the moon but it turns the moon purple and I loose the image texture. I know I should be able to do this but I have not been able to figure it out, yet.

Castle In Fog Scene:

Here, I finally figured out a way to get the moon to look right in the scene. And I changed some lighting to make more of a view of the castle itself.

11 Likes

I went a little off book and made an entirely new scene. I will admit it took much more than an hour, but I got to put everything I learned in this section to use!

Trying to Stay Warm in the Mountains:

10 Likes

I wasn’t happy with the street lamps in the beginning. But after having added the brick texture, I quite like the contrast to the modern style street lamps.

10 Likes

4 Likes

Added some noise to the hue and saturation of the bricks with object coordinates, so there’s some variation between the arches, added some extra dents into the bricks

4 Likes

I went off on a bit of a tangent. Overall I’m happy with my scene but I wish I could have gotten the grass to look a little better. I think I might need a particle system for that.

3 Likes

Haha I do that all the time. Getting carried away is not always a bad thing. Great work.

2 Likes

So i have to apologize to Mikey here as he has been giving me tips along the way and i have been holding out on him with my lighting till the last moment :slight_smile:
Sorry @Michael_Bridges

8 Likes

Hahah awesome!

Here is my final render.

4 Likes

Finally finished the scene. I must have spent 3 hours trying to get volumetrics to work correctly and finally gave it up as hopeless when it started refusing to render on the Eevee Engine. Anyways, here is my final renders in Eevee and Cycles.

and a few extra shots along the way…

11 Likes

After some minor tunes and twists… the scene is almost the same, but better.

Thank you, Michael! I am really glad with the progress so far. Not only for being able to create a picture similar to the promo one (I liked), but also the confidence I gained with using blender.

5 Likes

OK this is my final image, I could do more but needed to call it a day at some point. One of the dangers with these things is that you can get into an endless cycle of tweaking the model. I like the reflections in the water and the way the green light reflects back to illuminate the lower bridge.

3 Likes

the water looks really cool, I like the “water-ornaments”

1 Like

I stopped at this point. I got the feeling that I have reached the end of Eevee. The current scene takes about 15 min to render. Staring at a screen that shows nothing (Eevee). In cycles you see something happen and you can decide to abort the render. Now I need to wait, change and wait.
Especially when working on the textures (still not my favorite thing).

All textures are too clean and also the repeated objects are duplicates. So I was thinking to apply many arrays, and tweak some meshes by hand. But I stopped because, of the time consumed process.

I don’t like the fog (as a trick to hide the background), it masks the bridge too much.
on the otherhand, I didn’t need to add much bridge details!
I don’t like the water because to look likes a lot of wind. But that is contradictory to the fog.
I couldn’t make the fog random like horizontal flares.
I miss shadows on the street (pole foot of the lights) (some occlusion at least).

So I had - for myself- high expectation for this challenge. It’s getting to slow working process.
I tried to switch over to Cycles but then, 'o boy what a lot of render noise. And the fog is like a wall.

So I’m thinking to upgrade my PC and get a desent render card.

Happy render!

3 Likes

I also found that I spend a lot of time on this, but enjoyed all the different elements of surprise. I hate Eevee!! There - I said it! And fog “fogs” you around but, then I upgraded to the new RC2 version and found the new landscape generator. What a joy! The color ramp just falls into place without all the math nodes and stuff. I love your lamps and fence. :smiley:

1 Like

A combination of different types of texture, lighting, fog, and the landscape generator in the RC version (I know - I only now had the guts to download it) - thank you Michael.

6 Likes

Had to stop as this was taking quite a bit of time… Tried to go for an “Inside” inspired atmospheric piece.
Eevee render:

The figurines are low-poly simple-texture models subdivided and auto-rigified using the “rigify” add-on with some awful deformations… hopefully the low light hides that.
Spent a lot of time on the textures and baking displacements for the rocks :man_facepalming:
The landscape is a plain that had a displacement applied to it which was a new texture I drew as a rough BW image in the UV editor.
A lot of time was spent on the fog… I used a squashed noise texture colorramped to allow regions where the density is 0. Took forever to get an acceptable placement of the fog… still much to learn there.
Bridge is a boolean modified cube which was arrayed and then curve-modified.
May revisit this scene for other sections.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms