1. Look at what subsurface scattering is
  2. Understand that currently Eevee and Cycles produce very different results
  3. Cycles produces much more realistic results
  4. Turn it on in Eevee's rendering settings

After watching (learning outcomes)…

You will be able to setup and configure subsurface scattering in your materials

(Unique Video Reference: 8_SG_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I can see that there is a lot of up front settings needed to make renders in Eevee work correctly. Cycles is a little slower but there is less manipulation in settings to get it to display decent results.

Here are my two renders Eevee than Cycles:

Grass%20-%20Cycles

2 Likes

1 Like

one of the things I didn’t notice right away was that my plant lost it’s patterning when I rendered it in Cycles.

Yet it is present here in the Eevee render.

2 Likes

1 Like

I have many problems with this. Not sure why. I think because of my bevel design. Just pipes of the same dimensions.

The really strange thing is the blur or gloom on some spots of the rendered scene.
Especially where the big ‘flower’ tube is located.

Grease%20Pencil%20Flower%20-%2005

2 Likes

Grass in a river

3 Likes

Something I have been interested in understanding for a while. This lecture helped a lot! It was great to see the SSS on Suzanne - very clear explanation.

2 Likes

@FedPete I love that these look like bullrushes waving in the wind. Kinda’ cool effect.

Some will say “Happy accidents”.
But will happen not so often … :wink:

Cycles:

2 Likes

I gave my green (textured) grass a red subsurface color.

Eevee:

Cycles:

4 Likes

Subsurface scattering in Eevee

4 Likes

5 Likes

It was a bit tricky to get good clean strokes with just a mouse (at least, more than I wanted to spend time on, guess I’ll have to grab myself a pen tablet for my birthday), so I guess made string beans instead.

4 Likes

The grass bean plant. It is fine.

1 Like

finding subsurface and reflections look best in cycles but not sure about shadows

eevee

cycles

3 Likes

At close up Eevee has no contact / ambient shadow provided, you need to switch them on!
For cycles shadows, it depends on how and how many lamps (and types) you have configured.
Just use sun lamp only and change the angle (bender <3)

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms