About 'Section 4 Wrap-Up'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Re-iterate some of the core things we have learned in this section of the course.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Ready to take on the next section!

(Unique Video Reference: 43_AA_CU2)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Great section. I felt that I was left at the end with a couple of questions and unsure if they will be covered later or not, but without them now, just couldn’t quite wrap up Argon Assault into my own MVP at the end, all around Timeline. I would be able to hunt down the answers myself (and maybe that’s useful in its own right too), so I’m not looking for those answers per se in the thread, this is more just feedback as a course student.

Our master timeline consisted of taking off, warbling around the landscape for a minute, nuking all that were in our way.

1. What happens at the end, does it just end? Does it loop? Can you choose?
  2. What if I wanted the player to have control over the start of the timeline, is there a simple way to start on the landing pad and have the player react to a scramble alert/siren, and launch themselves?
  3. If the timeline loops, won’t it loop back to square one on the ground? Perhaps you can capitalize on this to indicate a rest period between waves (which goes back to the ability to control the launch of the next wave so you can effectively ‘pause’ at this point)?
  4. Can you deviate or blend from one timeline to another? Maybe then I could separate launch/land from the circuit and blend that into my gameplay in the middle, perhaps Defender style to pick up survivors fleeing aliens on the ground?

I’m sure there is huge scope and this list could go on and on, so with the spiral teaching process there’s opportunity to come back and fill some of those gaps, but probably numbers #1 and #3 I thought would have been appropriate, relevant, and quick enough to include at this point - just my opinion/feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rick_Davidson perhaps you could address these Timeline questions.

Great questions, here are some answers,

1. You can set your timeline up so that it loops or that it stops. Obviously if we want it to loop, we’d need to make the start point and the end point be at the same location.
  2. Yes, we can trigger the start of a timeline in code or things like the player entering a trigger volume or hitting a certain key.
  3. Cool idea. Having the ship land at the end of a loop and then take off again after a delay would be good way to show refuelling and hitting the next wave.
  4. Yes, you can set up multiple timelines to blend. Thats a little outside of our current scope, but something that can be done by instantiating the player’s ship on one timeline then on another.

Many thanks for your thoughts - I’ll put these on the wish list for if / when we loop back to cover more Timeline.

1 Like

That was so educational, thanks, Rick and Ben! So excited to continue on.
I blogged about my experience for future reference, it’s not perfect or anything I just wrote about what I learned and what I did so one day I can go back to it and read it or if I want to refresh my brain, I can just go back to that and read it.

https://uuity.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/argon-assault-udemy-project.html

Again, thanks so much you guys are great teachers!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms