About 'Projecting Textures'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Texture our models really quickly
  2. Use project to mitigate the UV unwrap process

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Be able to quickly texture objects using projection rather than UV unwrapping.

(Unique Video Reference: 13_PW_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

1 Like

I tried 2 projections of textures. One is a rock texture and one is an Agate texture. The agate is a lower resolution picture that I thought I would try because of its interesting colors.

Rock Textured:

It reminds me of an asteroid.

The next one is the Agate texture:

3 Likes

I decided that my rock did not have enough character so I made this one. It gave me a chance to test my understanding of displacements and projecting a texture.

4 Likes

This rock looked so interesting, I thought I would make a little movie in Blender 2.8.

4 Likes

That’s a really nice texture! Great work.

Thank you, it was a lot of fun to do.

I have not reached this part yet, just curious, blender can project objects to the surface - so that we can get textures?
example

Totally incredibly credible asteroids above!!!

Rock with extreme moss invasion

3 Likes

Animation based around my “cracked earth rock”

I have already textured a number of asteroids in earlier lessons and wanted something a little different this time so I created another variation. This time I grabbed a texture from Texture.com and came up with this

I was rather happy with the results until my wife said it looks like something that came out of someone’s bumm

Edit
I went back and created an annimation for this lesson

1 Like

Same rock as before, this time in water and not in sand and with a projected texture (free texture).

2 Likes

rock%20-%2001

I think my rock photo isn’t good for this type of mesh.

1 Like

bitterballen any one? :wink:

1 Like

Couple of generated rock textures. Background image is photo from Scotland.

1 Like

Love them, good model and textures.

Love the creativity of the setting.

Leather texture on my mysterious object.

2 Likes

I took an asteroid-like shape from one of the previous lectures and applied a rock texture to it. The first light became the sun and I added a spot with a bluish light as second light.

This is yet another example of how much difference it makes to use bump maps. Here’s the exact same scene, just without the bump map applied:

An extreme example, I know, as the texture is so “weak” compared to the bump map. But I’m still amazed every time… :open_mouth:

The texture (and others) can be found at https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Rock004 (I used the 2K resolution for this).

EDIT: Right after posting this I wanted to know :wink: and got myself the 8K texture pack. I also beefed up Cycles’ render samples from 128 to 512. Here’s the result:

EDIT 2: Now I wanted to know which of the two had more effect, so here’s the 8K texture version back at 128 samples - quite a loss of details IMHO.

1 Like

Great rock texture, I have always difficulties with this.
Maybe adding some color variances too?

Privacy & Terms