About 'Player Death'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Trigger player death when player collides with enemy.
  2. Disable player control when player is in death state.
  3. Implement some kind of dramatic death reaction.
  4. Change player animation state when dying.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Create vulnerability in the player by triggering a dramatic death.

(Unique Video Reference: 23_TV_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

1 Like

@Rick_Davidson @ben The link for this video jumps ride to the bonus content of loading levels for me.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know - seems to be an issue with Udemy, I’m investigating and trying to fix.

I wanted to share something that I ran into. When the player death is setup, if the player collides with the trigger or the capsule collider it will count as isTouchingLayers and kill the player. My enemy has a long stride and I did not want the legs to kill the player. The solution I came up with was to create a child object that has the box collider2D and is on the default layer. The enemy still moves correctly and the player doesn’t die hitting the trigger.

3 Likes

I just thought I’d share a little fun idea that I remembered with the dying animation and its name is Random.Range! I don’t remember where exactly throughout the course it was used but it certainly came to mind when thinking of a way to spice up the death and possibly make it more humorous.

This is an example with what I did with my death sequence so far.
Capture15

2 Likes

@Rick_Davidson Your solution to fix those wired lines in the tiles display works but doesn’t address the question why this is happening. It is actually a problem with the anti-aliasing system. The “right” way to solve this problem is to disable anti-aliasing because we are using pixel-art (I guess a pixel perfect camera would also solve the problem).

Privacy & Terms