About 'Making a Simple Door'!

In this video (objectives)…

1 Use an Input_event() function to detect if a player is clicking on a door 2 Only allow players to open a door if in range 3 Set up different logic for NPCs and players using doors 4 Add sound effects to doors

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Create simple doors that open if the player is in range and clicks on them!

(Unique Video Reference: 17_HM_GDT)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I’ve decided to give the hinge with the swinging door a go.

1 Like

I dig it!

I found creating the door itself was reasonably straightforward, apart from a problem that I encountered, which I talk about in the Udemy Q&A. However, the section at the end on creating the audio animation seemed very difficult, the challenge itself was impossible (at least for me) in terms of setting up the animation player for use with audio. Even when I gave up and watched what you did I ended up watching it many times in steps of a second or two. I did eventually feel I could understand most of what was going on, but I don’t think that we have covered the audio facilities in enough detail to really tackle this section easily, and while we have done quite a bit with animation player in terms of sprite movement using it in this way was pretty new. I really feel that this section deserves either an extension to the current lecture or a seperate 5-6 minute lecture of its own, where you explain what you are doing in more detail. Thanks.

Fair point - I’ll take another look at that video tomorrow and see if I can make that clearer!

1 Like

There - I’ve re-edited the video to show how to use AnimationPlayer to select audio streams and control audio playback without making it a challenge first. That should help people not feel so overwhelmed! I also brought in your point about checking the layers for both CollisionShape2D nodes.

1 Like

Thanks, I think that is much clearer, it is great to see that you are so responsive. I hope you see my points as an attempt at constructive criticism as they are intended. In general this is an excellent course and I have very few problems with it, but when I do run into a snag I am making an effort to provide feedback.

1 Like

I totally appreciate the feedback and love that you feel free to give it!

Privacy & Terms