About 'MagicaVoxel Bonus Content'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Where to find additional content for creating MagicaVoxel assets.
  2. What content we will cover in our MagicaVoxel community course.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Aware of the MagicaVoxel Bonus Content.

(Unique Video Reference: 20_RR_CU2)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I posted my overall scene in a previous lecture thread but thought I’d also share some of the more detailed shots here.

Gate 1:

Minigun & Block:

Tank:

One thing about Voxels, not relevant to Realm Rush, is how to create a landscape in which to place them.

My understanding is they are resource hungry and hence better for tiny game worlds.

I’m wondering about the best way to create an environment (terrain) large enough to add in houses, trees, hills and so on to make an explorable map.

I looked at the Unity Voxel Asset PicaVoxel, but it is limited in max size.

I wonder if a pseudo-voxel terrain is what is required. Essentially a flat terrain with voxel hills, valleys added to keep the object count down.

Maybe Rick can have a look and add a video to the bonus MagicaVoxel video series.

@Rick_Davidson :slight_smile:

I dont think the voxels we create are necessarily resource hungry. They aren’t super efficient in how the mesh is created (there are ways to import into blender to tidy up the meshes, fuse vertices and remove unnecessary triangles, but they aren’t anything compared to high poly assets I don’t think.

If you wanted to make a huge environment mesh then I’d suggest either creating something in Blender, or jumping in to Unity’s ProBuilder tool which is now free as part of unity. It should create a boxy environment look pretty easily.

1 Like

If you’re looking at making voxel terrain then I’d suggest taking a page out of Minecraft’s book. In that game the world is loaded in as chunks, so even though the world seems near infinite your really only seeing a small part of it at any given time.

There are a few different Voxel Terrain assets available on the store, but I’ve not uses any of them so can’t really give a recommendation. These will tend to be optimised for using voxels on a larger scale but most of them do have a bit of a price tag attached.

If you head over to the discord channel then I’m sure the guys and girls over there will be able to recommend some for you.

Privacy & Terms