About 'Limitations Of Unity Pathfinding'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. A quick overview of Unity's NavMesh.
  2. How our system compares.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Explain why we are creating pathfinding from scratch.

(Unique Video Reference: 2_RR_CU2)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

1 Like

Really glad this course is building from ground up. While learning, I don’t want to know what code is out there that I can use to achieve some objective. I want to know how to write that code in the first place. It’s my humble opinion that any one who is learning to code, should not be allowed to use other pre existing code…just like no one should be using a calculator if they don’t first know how to do the calculations without a calculator. Very grateful that Ben and Co are taking this approach.

5 Likes

We are making our own pathfinder so we can learn the inner workings of it, starting with the basics. And a grid system would be the simplest way to start since it is focused on certain points to look for in a path, such as in a maze game.
I made my own pathfinding code in a Game Maker maze game before, but I would like to translate that to C#. I also hope we learn how to code different types of enemy AI for this, like the ghosts in Pac Man.

3 Likes

I’m super excited about this. I always want to learn the principles before I learn to manipulate some software to implement those principles.

2 Likes

Thanks for your responses guys.

I also think this is the right approach. This way we are gonna learn the fundamentals of pathfinding instead of learn how to tweak a bunch of values in unity without fully understand them.

2 Likes

The reasons we are creating pathfinding from scratch are:

1. Weight: Unity’s pathfinding system is heavy on memory.
  2. Runtime: Unity’s pathfinding is not optimal when things change during runtime.
  3. Learning C# AI and AI principles: By building our own pathfinding we are exploring C#'s capabilities to make AI, as well as exploring the principles and pratice of artificial intelligence. Otherwise, we would just be learning to use Unity’s pathfinding system, which is perphaps not as transferable as a skill.

…right?

1 Like

Since my purpose in taking this class was to learn C# and have an excuse to play with Unity, this appears to be a very good approach. I can always learn Unity’s path finding system once I wrap my head around the theory.

1 Like

will this course be updated,

Privacy & Terms