About 'Generated Textures Are Different'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Not bound by resolution
  2. Easy to have values higher than 1 and less than 0
  3. Baking them out will return you to those downsides

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Understand the fundamental differences between baked textures and generated

(Unique Video Reference: 3_PW_BEC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

My 3 generated textures with nodes :

7 Likes

Those are sweet textures!

1 Like

Thank you Michael :slight_smile:

Okay, I have a problem. When I follow your instructions I end up with an image that is striped with blank alpha regions like this:

I have tried different noise textures but all turn out this way. I also can only run the Bake once. After that, I get an error message.

“Baking map saved to internal image, save it externally or pack it.”

I don’t know what is going on. Whether it is me doing something wrong or this week’s build of Blender 2.8, I don’t know what is causing it.

Save externally or pack is a reminder to save the file.

That’s an interesting pattern. I think that is likely a bug.

Just check one thing- any duplicate/intersecting geometry.

It is just a plain. There is no other geometry. I have tried this multiple times and I have to start a new file each time or I get an error message which I already showed in my last reply. I have tried earlier builds but they are all from this week. I don’t keep builds around past the last couple of days so I don’t have any of the older builds to check this against.

Have’t noticed the banding problems mentioned above…
But here are my two patterns. :slight_smile:

First, some tartan-like stuff. Hope there are no scotsmen here taking offence. :joy:
Tartan%20pattern
Made with several mixed wave textures and color ramps.

Secondly, here is some kind of abstract colorful stuff. This was made with a single distorted noise texture that had the colors split up into R, G, B , color ramped and then re-mixed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Messing around I came up with 2 which remind me of polystyrene and stained glass

2 Likes

After duplicating Micheal’s Wave and Musgrave textures I kept my two just a bit simple and went with a Magic Texture, which I think will make a nice Bump Map for Cloth, and a Noise Texture as a base for some landscaping or possibly a cloud-cover map.

Also, one of the things I discovered that @Michael_Bridges didn’t mention in the video is that the ‘Image Texture’ needs to be the Active selection in the Node Editor before you can bake to the image.

3 Likes

It has been a while for me since I posted. I have been active and off learning other 3D software, but I needed to come back and finish out this course. Here is my challenge output.

Bottom row is generated and top row is baked. Feedback or CC is always appreciated

1 Like

Bands:
Bands-baked

Weave:
Blocks%20fade

Rumble:

1 Like

I love that weave texture, looking forward to seeing it using on a model!

Pattern 1 :

Pattern 2 :

4 Likes

mixed vornoi

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

Went with Noise …

… and Voronoi.

2 Likes

1 Like

Magic and Voro