About 'Export & Import Package'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Export scenes and SceneLoader.cs from previous project.
  2. Import package into our new project.
  3. Set up build settings, change aspect ratio, update text.

After watching (learning outcomes)… Export scenes and logic from one project and import as a package into another.

(Unique Video Reference: 3_BR_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Hi there,
I tried to import the attached package, but if I unzip it I see weird folders and Unity can not import it.

I’m not sure what has happened there. When you unzip the folder you should see a unity package file which you then drag straight into Unity and it imports automatically.

From Unity if you go through the import process manually you might have more luck…

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetPackages.html

It looks more like the zip file you would expect to see if it had been downloaded from the GitHub repository…

Also, @Paulie, I note you’ve posted this under Block Breaker but the zip file in questions refers to Number Wizard - which section are you actually working on? If you can let me know and I will move your topic on the forum accordingly.

Hi Rob,
thanks for your reply…
Yep Im working on Block Breaker, but we are refactoring assets from the previous course (Number wizard).
I downloaded the assets from here:

Hi Paulie,

Thanks for the info, I hadn’t realised the previous sections assets were re-used, sorry for my confusion.

I note the screenshot you have their has three tabs across the top, there’s a selected filenae by the looks of it, and then to the right it says “2018” and “2018” - what software is this, it looks like kind of file inspector/versioning tool? Is this on a Mac perhaps (I’m not so familiar with those), just trying to work out what it is you are using to inspect the file etc.

I’ve just downloaded the .zip file in question, and after extracting the .zip file I have a folder containing the .UnityPackage;

The same outcome as Rick above, slightly different as I was using the compression software included within Windows (Winzip?) as opposed to WinRar (Rick is a heretic!)

I right-clicked on the .UnityPackage and selected Open, in my case, this launched Unity Hub, I then created a new project. Once the project was created, it opened within Unity and the Import Package window appeared;

This outcome is the same as Rick’s approached, e.g. opening a project first, then selecting Assets / Import Package / Custom Package. So, the file that is available to download looks good, and the behaviour of importing it is sound.

Perhaps you could either record the process you are taking and share the video with us, or, itemise the step-by-step approach you are taking so we can see where something is going astray?

Download using safari, if you download with chrome tha package is messed up.

1 Like

When I downloaded the .zip file I was using Chrome, no issues.

Yes, you are using windows this is why, with osx chrome downloads a messed up package

Hmm, that’s interesting. Seems a bit odd. I wonder if a few other osx users could confirm this also?

Hi Kavlikos and Rob,
yep it was the Chrome download issue on a mac. I used Safari for the download and everything works like a charm!
Thanks guys!

2 Likes

Glad you were able to make progress, and well done @kavlikos.

Can’t help but wonder what the underlying issue is with Chrome on Mac :thinking:

Hey,

Might be something you want to mention in the video. When I add the NWUI scenes to the build settings for the new brick breaker I didn’t know I had to do it in any specific order. So when I finished this video lesson and went to test play the game, my Game Over scene “play again” button took me to the Level 1 scene rather than the Start Menu scene. Took me a little to figure out why but it was because the function was ‘.LoadHomeScene’ which in the code was set to load scene (0). So I had to go back into the build settings and change the order of the scenes to match up with the original order of NWUI.

I haven’t watched any further videos yet so maybe you address that in one of those.

Just FYI, I’m still having the same issues.

Unfortunately, Safari has trouble loading Udemy, so I downloaded Firefox, which allowed me to log in and download the zip, but I had the same problem.

I ended up downloading the “BestZip” app and using that. I should have started with that instead of using the native unzipper.

Anyways BestZip worked and unzipped properly, but for some reason, Unity didn’t like the file if I accessed it through the menu. Dragging and dropping worked perfectly, though.

Hi,

I’ve just had this problem.

I swapped from Windows to Mac, and needed the project files. Downloaded on MacOS through Chrome, and used the default “Archive Utility”. This got me the same result as OP.

I downloaded “The Unarchiver” from the Mac Store, and that unpacked the .package properly.

Not a Chrome issue, or a MacOS issue; you just need the right tool with which to open the .zip file.

1 Like

Thanks! worked well

the export and import only shows scene…I do not have the 3 scene - start Menu, core game and win run scene as show in the video…I am using the latest version 2021.x Unity…

Privacy & Terms