About 'End Of The Simple Character Section'!

• Michael wraps up this section.
  • What would you like to see next?

(Unique Video Reference: 99_SC_BCC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I enjoyed all of the lectures thoroughly. Everything was explained and presented in a well prepared manner. I feel I learned quite a bit. Thank you

I would have liked to see more on rigging and animation and possibly how to use animation files (bvh) to animate a character.

It also seemed that some of the lectures in this series were pretty much like the ones in "Learn 3d Modelling. That is not really a bad thing as repetition is important in learning.

As usual Mike, you presented some great challenges and made me think along the way!

2 Likes

When will this course continue, is there a timeframe yet?

I haven’t purchased this course yet, because I’m trying to find the best course on character creation before I put money into something. I have the 3D Modeling course, but I’m hesitant to buy this one, and I figure this is a good spot to say why, because perhaps it can be added in, and my hesitation will be cause for a nice addition to this course.

I’m looking for a character creation course of a more intermediate level. Take me through a quick rough out of base mesh modeling, then show me the extra pieces, like belts, helmets, weapons, etc… Show me how you rig the character, rigs the extras, how that animates, how everything is weighted. Show the normal mapping, texturing, posing, etc… to get a nice character. Give the asset file, so in case ours looks like total junk, we have something nice to work with, so we can understand how the lighting works, what the textures SHOULD look like, etc…

There’s courses for 3D modeling, courses for rigs, courses for texturing… but I want a course on character creation and implementation.

2 Likes

Some tips for the future or maybe a continue of this course:

• In the last section there are many things which are already covered in section 2 (e.g. proportional editing)
  • More interesting would be to get more of the really helpful modelling and rigging tips. E.g. Double the mesh to make clothes, split mesh to make fingers and so on.
  • For a conitnuing of the course I would appreciate if there would be more tips on how to rig more complex characters (The main picture of the course already made expectations in that direction but it wasn’t really covered). Not so much in the way of high-poly meshes. Low-poly is ok, but how do I rig my clothes so that they suit to the mesh of my character during animation? Do I need extra bones for them? For example what is the best way for rigging, when my character wears a long coat and I want him to run?
    What is a good practise to avoid twisted meshes? Overlapping vertex groups? What is best practise for meshes in the area of joints? …
4 Likes

I really enjoyed the course. I now feel capable of creating cool stuffs!

I’m very proud of my character, and I’m preparing more to come!

I wanted to know more about rigging more advanced models, and a better understanding to export the animations into Unity.

Also learn how to use some of the tools like cloth physics and how to use then in the animation.

Cheers!

Here’s my oil painting that I used for reference:

And the final model, I want to rig it, animate and use it in Unity!

2 Likes

How much fun is this! I love the style you’ve created
Well done!

1 Like

That’s awesome!

2 Likes

This is my final character “Mr. Alien” end pose for this course.

It’s not my final animation with him. But I wanted to finish this course. And move on.
I found the last part of this course a bit disappointing. My expectation was to go more in dept of character modeling, rigging, clothing and animation. And to gain knowledge on how to proceed in more complex character and scene management. Because it’s getting complex !
In the course banner you see three figures. Cube dude, low poly and high poly model. But the low poly part was only a single lesson. And the high poly, never seen. I understand the reasons behind creating a nice course like this. But if you (as I) already did the “Complete Blender” course, there are still many overlaps (and in Blender 2.79).

In the following animation (which I did in a quick way) I encountered a lot of technical problems. Which I partly solved on my own. Thanks to these beautiful crafted lessons. Clear spoken, well explained, many topics handled for such a impressive tool as Blender. I managed it, but still having a lot of question about creating and animating characters.
And I am on my own now, the course is finished.:sweat_smile:

In the video above, which is not great, I encountered a lot of problems. Due to my own inexperience and way of working. So I like to know more about:

• Animating faces, timing and such(eye lids, etc.)
  • Animation and working with poses (pose library)
  • Re-use armatures and rigging (many figures sharing poses, armatures, etc.)
  • The NLA-editor
  • Managing complex projects (which gave me a headache with this last movie)
  • Clothing (body) simulation. As you can see, my cape is vibrating some how.
  • How to rig a body with accessores (weapons)
  • Animating with low poly and switching to high poly models (final renders)
  • Switching poses (animated)
  • Using the video editor (fade-in / out)
  • Creating stories (storyboards, techniques)
  • Following story lines
  • Creating libraries for re-use
  • Fine tuning bone-weighting (this I find is a difficult process - or I did it completely wrong)
  • tips and tricks

But still, I want to express, how much fun I had in this course. GameDev (Michael) thanks.

And now, I hop over to the “Blender environment” course (which I already started).

CU guys and go render something.

Privacy & Terms