About 'Depth Of Field (Blender Render)'!

Re: Depth of Field lecture
This lecture was good, though I found the bit about scaling ( ~11:37 to 12:10) a tad hard to follow. Nonetheless, I had almost all the information I needed to complete the challenge, but ran into an issue:

After having scaled my pieces & board, I had issues with Blender choosing a random focal plane to render around. I would select a piece for the camera’s focus and Blender would cheerfully render a focal plane nowhere near it. Judging from the number of times people mention this in Q&A section, it would appear this is not an uncommon issue.

In the Q&A, I found a helpful tip from the TA that might be nice to include in the lecture. In answer to another student having a similar issue, the TA suggested (among other things) putting an empty in the scene for the camera to focus on. This immediately fixed my issue. I was at a loss until that point. Plus, until that moment, it hadn’t occurred to me that you could focus on an empty.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on this lecture we really appreciate it :slight_smile:
May be a little confusing with the difference in the name but the TA is myself so appreciate knowing that my posted solution is still ongoing to help people.

@Michael_Bridges Not sure how 2.8 handles DOF but maybe something to be aware of as an option?

Thanks again C_Sed for the feedback on this :+1:

Dof in 2.8 with Eevee is very similar to Cycles, which is much easier than Blender Render.

Think people problems(mine included) originated from the compositing Blender Render needs to make it show some effect…

In any case… Blender Render is gone now… and Welcome Eevee which is awesome and you can see the changes in realtime! :smiley:
Think we won’t have problems this time around.

1 Like

What might be wrong here? Whole render area gets same blur. I’m unable to focus on any specific area. I followed every step very carefully so I think problem is a little deeper than just forget to set focus point.

I was having a similar problem here (I’m using Blender 2.79b, not sure if you are as well), and what fixed it for me was to add an empty axis to the scene and set that as the focal point for the camera. If you check the discussions on Udemy itself, there are a few other suggestions there as well. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much. After using your method and reading few more solutions i finally got my focus working.

Modeled a little window to act as my light source :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here are mine
All lined up!

!
Lets move 'em around!
Chess%20Scene%204 !
Get some blur in there!
!
Let’s rotate!
!
Focus on the king!