About 'Community & Support'!

Welcome to our community! Please say hello, let us know where you’re from and perhaps what you plan to do once you finish this course.

Hi,

I’m from Bahrain and ever since I was a kid video games were a part of my life. So I’ve decided to take a plunge and learn about video game development. Hope to learn a lot from this course, and maybe someday make a game I feel proud to show people and have them play it for themselves. But until then I’m just a guy with zero experience in coding. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Regards,
Abdulwahab

2 Likes

Hey.

Having been fascinated by how video game work ever since the early days of the Atari 2600 and the ColecoVision, I wanted to get into game dev myself.

Even as a kid from Detroit, Michigan, I’ve always had a strong programming background - my first language was QBASIC/QuickBasic - and I made little projects on it - tanks, balls bouncing around, work games, wanna-be screen savers, even a music tracker, which emulated the old MOD tracking software (reading and writing directly to hardware ports on your OPL2 / OPL3 sound card - heh getting all worked up just talking about it!)

I was never able to obtain a “normal” job doing any type of game coding - it was always I.T. - which I didn’t want to make a career out of. After being let go as an I.T. support operator back in 2008, I decided to go rogue freelance, and that’s what I’ve been doing for the last 10 years.

Startint out in Adobe Flash and ActionScript 3, I created my first two games (which actually made $), Blast Force and Laser Stryker. Back when Flash game sponsorships were all the rave, I succeeded in getting both of them sponsored with the help of a site called FGL.com (back then, it was called FlashGameLicense).

Shortly after, having realized that trying to make games this way and make a living was like playing the lottery. So I then went to Upwork, and have completed over 50 game projects for clients there ever since. Also, with the retirement of Flash just around the corner, I got into Adobe AIR and started using it to target Android.

Seeing that Unity is a very popular technology for making games (not to mention I’m seeing quite a few requests for it, haha), this is the next adventure for me.

Thanks!
~ C. out.

Hi! I’m Xavier, from New York! Getting into game development has been a long time goal of mine and I"m excited to finally jump in with Ben and Rcik’s course! Looking forward to learning as much as I can and eventually join forces with my oldest and greatest friend to create amazing games for the masses. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi I’m James. I’m from Kansas City, KS. After this course I plan to take the Unity 3D course and a Unreal course. I’m basically getting my hands dirty in order to figure out how I want to build a game for profit.

From what I’ve googled, only 1% of indie game developers make a decent living. But hey, using C# and C++ and actually understanding wtf is going on makes me marketable for a lot of other jobs. For now I’ll just follow my dreams and have fun doing it.

2 Likes

Hello my name is Silas, I am from Brazil I am a Unity user for the last four years - I have some knowledge related to C#, but my idea on this curse is to get a formal base - and also know the differences in programming for Unity.

I really hope to listes about GitHub since my team know is divided in two countries.

1 Like

Hello, my name is Jason and I am from Maryland.

I’ve been in working in technology for over 20 years - but I’ve never dived into game development. Now that my kids are a little older and have shown an interest, I’ve decided to learn and attempt to build something with them and a few colleagues.

At the end of this journey I’m hoping to learn something new, create something fun with my family and friends, and teach my kids about how business works so they are better prepared when their time comes to step into it.

– Jason

2 Likes

Hi All,

I joined this community recently with a desire to create a cool game for my kid and help him learn in a fun and engaging way. I am a IT professional but new to game development . This field has a lot of potential in augmenting the process workflows in the industry to create Serious games which would have Industry value as well. Look forward to learn a lot and apply this knowledge in my job as well. Maybe create a AR / VR game someday and create a new world for me and my son… Love to dream!! Hope to help and be helped by this community as well!

Regards,
Biplab

1 Like

Hello everyone, Chris here from the rainy UK,

I started out developing in Unity 4 using an asset called Playmaker, a visual scripting tool that made creating logic very easy and no real knowledge of code was needed. I’ve created a few small projects for my job, where I teach people game development, but I was always interested in how coding worked, being from a Business background, I trawled Youtube and the internet for different tutorials and have tried coding since.

What I am hoping to get out of the 2D and 3D courses is knowledge and skill to get better with C# and ultimately move away from using Playmaker once I know enough about C#, and maybe even go into business for myself.

I like to ask lots of questions so I’m hoping there are lots of people ready to answer!

Regards,

Chris

1 Like

Here to say “Hello!”

I have no previous game development experience, or experience programming. I was debating whether or not I should go back to school to get my masters in “something” but decided to try pursuing a passion project. Feeling good about this. LOTS TO LEARN!

Been thinking about what I want to spend my time and energy on for a few years now. I followed my passion for the Japanese language 12 years ago, which lead me to spend the past 10 years of my life in Japan. Got a wife and two kids now. My passion for learning Japanese began to falter about 4 years ago, and I have been looking for something to fill the void since. Always been into games. Just never thought I could make it as a game dev. Realized that I could just do it for fun, and see what comes out of it.

I’ve always wanted to make a Metroid-vania title. Just finished Hollow Knight last week, AM2R a few months ago, and Axiom Verge when it was released–all titles which have been made by either one person, or a very small development team. Inspiring! Plan on checking out Dead Cells next!

I plan on taking things slowly, and aim to release a fully realized 2.5D Metroid-Vania title in the next 5 years. WISH ME LUCK!

Thank you Ben and Rick for putting together this course! Everything feels so much more accessible to me now!

Best,

The_XVI

1 Like

Thanks Rick!

1 Like

Hello Everyone, Im Reymon, Im from Dominican Republic.

I been interest in game development since I was a teenager, always having many ideas of things I wanted to employ in a videogame or Ideas I wanted give shape and/or form, but I have always been a procrastinator, delaying It further, but no matter how much I procrastinate, I can never clear my mind from wanting to make a game.

Its not the first time I tried to find a tutorial, but I certainly hope Im able to finish this one, because Im pretty commited right now to finishing this course.

I really like Megaman - Like games (basically what I mean Is, pretty fast platformers) and Metroidvania games, so I hope to be able to make a pretty good or excellent one of these one day, or maybe make a unique one that uses those two genres

I have 0 experience with Coding XD

Welcome!

Hi!

I recently retired from a career as a music theory professor. I’ve made games since I was a little kid (so . . . for over half a century), and I’ve enjoyed coding as a hobby since the 80s. I loved the GIMP course from this group, so I’m excited to start the Unity course as well.

Ken

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms