About 'Cinemachine Confiner Extension'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Create physics layers for Player and Background and alter the collision matrix so that the correct things can collide with one another.
  2. Create a bounding box for the Cinemachine confiner.
  3. Tune level and camera so that the player can only see what we want them to see.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Implement the Cinemachine confiner extension.

(Unique Video Reference: 19_TV_CUD)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

1 Like

CineMachine is updated, and as a result, the 2D camera is gone. You now use the normal virtual camera, and it will work automatically. On top of that, the “Extensions” dropdown is not in the same place, and the confiner script appears to be missing. Does anyone know where to find the updated constraints system?

Which version of Cinemachine and Unity are you using?

I just fired up Unity 2018.2 and have Cinemachine 2.1.12 installed. I see the extensions dropdown in the same place and see the confiner. Perhaps I am doing something different to you, or have missed a new update.

I am using 2018.2 as well, along with the 2.1.12 Cinemachine version. I guess it isn’t the version that is the issue. So then what gives? I tried looking it up for a while with no luck. None of the scripts in the files in cinemachine have any reference to the confiner or the extension’s existence. I am sure I did not download a partial file.

I got some funky issues when I started the project in 2017 then upgraded to 2018. Have you been working entirely in 2018, or did you change midflow?

I have been working entirely in 2018.

Just a side note, I made sure that I downloaded all of the files with the package after reinstalling it twice. I also checked the pdf file that comes with the Cinemachine download and it seems to confirm what I am seeing. It never mentions the confiner, and it shows several components that also do not have the extensions menu. Could I be getting fed an older version of Cinemachine by mistake?

Hmmm, thats quite possible. In your package manager do you see an option to upgrade Cinemachine?

No. It says that the package is up to date.

I’ve solved the problem! It turns out that the asset store package is COMPLETELY different from the package that you get by using the package manager directly. Weird. Anyway, I found that by removing the cinemachine files from my project and then installing cinemachine with the package manager, it worked wonderfully.

Glad that you resolved it - I had a similar “things are missing” when I tried to use 2018 for the project that was created with 2017… good to know that removing and reinstalling solves this.

I found that on the 2017.4.9f1 version that the extension seems not to work but that is because it is not bounding the edge of the camera view but the camera location. So if you set your collider to be half a camera width narrower at each side and the same for the top it will work.

This isn’t a good solution because the camera unless you fiddle with dampening on the character seems to still travel past your boundary, but hopefully it helps by illustration the difference in how it is working.

Phil

Privacy & Terms