About 'Chaining Physics Constraints'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Chaining constraints together.
  2. Setup the new Axle and its contraint.
  3. Why we need a collider to simulate physics.
  4. Using USphereComponents.
  5. Disabling collisions on the Axle.
  6. Constraining the wheel rotation.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

How to chain constraints together.

(Unique Video Reference: 109_BT_URC)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I’ve followed the code (using “Spring” instead of “MassWheelConstraint”), and now find that while USphereComponents appear in the proper order within the Blueprint, none of the sphere components has Details on the Details tab. This means I can’t turn off collision on the Axle. Which means weird behavior when a tank spawns due to collisions between the axles and the wheel. I’m using Unreal 4.22, and Visual Studio Professional 2017 on a 64-bit Windows 10 laptop.

Any suggestions on how to fix? I’ve tried closing an rebooting the engine, but this does not resolve the problem.

On another note, the lecture has no link to resources so I’m unable to pull a source control to copy over code. So my review of code is visually comparing to code within the lecture.

1 Like

I have excactly the same problem. No details on the SphereComponents! And i am at UE4.22.3. So close to finish this course in the original version…

How are the components setup in C++. Not seeing the details is often a problem with the UPROPERTY setup.

For me, I was able to comment out the USphereComponents lines and all related to them, compile, then restore the lines. After compiling again, the details panels appear.

Now though, I can’t see the spheres when I test the tank, and the tracks sink through the floor no matter how I position the spawn points. Even though spawn points are all at the same z offset, the tank settles unevenly, with the front tilted up at about a 40 degree angle. Nothing else changed in the cost beyond what’s shown in the lecture.l

C++ was correct (checked against code in the lecture and repo once resources were restored). The issue is something with the engine. By commenting out all lines related to USpherecomponents, compiling, restoring the USpherecomponents lines and compiling again, I was able to get the details panels to appear.

Now I just can’t get the tank to behave properly. It lands at odd angles (nose up about 40 degrees), and the tracks drop through the floror. I’ve tried moving spawn points repeatedly, but nothing solves.

Privacy & Terms