In this video (objectives)…

1. The List<> syntax
  2. Lists vs arrays
  3. Creating a custom waypoint path.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Use a simple list in C#.

(Unique Video Reference: 6_RR_CU2)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

I set myself a mini challenge to figure out naming the gameObject with the coordinates but I used

this.name = blockCoord;
instead of
gameObject.name = blockCoord;

Is how I’ve done it likely to have any negative repercussions down the track? I don’t fully understand this, but for some reason that’s where my mind went.

We’ll get more into that later, but meanwhile this old blog post of Brice’s may help…

https://www.completeunitydeveloper.com/blog/this-vs-gameobject

Ah, that GIF is brilliantly succinct. I look forward to learning about the
nuances of using both.

1 Like

I’m attempting to use List<> but I’m receiving an error stating that the name Block could not be found and that I am missing an assembly reference. I’m not sure how to proceed without being able to use List<>. Thanks!

Can you post your full line of code you’re attempting to use.

Here is the code (Same as the video): [SerializeField] List < Block > path;

Here is the error code: Assets/EnemyMover.cs(7,27): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Block’ could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

So I don’t own the course itself so can’t check the videos but do you have a script and class named Block? The error suggests that it doesn’t exist.

I had a quick look at the code for the final version and can’t see any script named block.

Lists are normally declared as:

List<Type> variableName = new List<Type>();

so I’d expect something like List<Block> path = new List<Block>();

Yeah, the way the course shows it Block is something built into unity and when that didn’t work like the example I tried it how you are showing but still getting the same error.

Solved! I was missing the Block script on each block. Always something simple. Thanks for your help @Martyn_Stewart.

Privacy & Terms