About Aspect Ratio 4:3 in Unity 2020

Greetings everyone, I’m kinda new in programming and stuff, so that would be great if I was corrected or proven right. The thing is that when I was going through the part of changing the aspect Ratio, my version of Unity doesn’t seem to have 4:3 correlation. I could’ve set each scene manually, but doesit worth it? I mean, I really don’t know and it it would be great if someone answered…

Hi @SchultzSteiner,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Please click on the “+” button and add a new aspect ratio. Theoretically, it is also possible to design your game for a different aspect ratio but if you are a beginner in game development, it’s advisable to do what Rick does and test a different aspect ratio after you completed this game.

See also:

Nina, Thanks for a quick reply!

If you look carefully at the screenshot, you’ll notice that I’ve already added one 4:3 aspect, I just wanted to make sure that it’s no longer possible to set it for a “loose” option 4:3, as with 16:9 and 16:10. If that’s what I think it is I thought it would be useful to mention this somewhere in the course. Anyways, thanks again and yeah, I will follow your advice and manually set all existing scenes into 4:3.
Lots of thanks again!

I’m afraid, I don’t see any 4:3 aspect ratio.

In the options, there is a difference between “aspect ratio” and “resolution”. Whilst the latter can certainly have an aspect ratio of 4:3 (I’m not going to do the maths here :wink:), there is still a difference between “aspect ratio” and “resolution” in the context of Unity. “Resolution” sets the game window to a specific resolution while “aspect ratio” does not have a specific width or height in pixels or World Units.

Also see this answer. If you design your game for a fixed resolution or if you prefer to use an aspect ratio, is up to you.

Gosh, you’re absolutely right! :slight_smile: I’d realised that several hours after writing the previous post. I added the resolution, which fits the aspect ratio, and then I discovered the neighbouring fields to add the actual aspect ratio)))) Now it looks right to me. Thanks again for your patient and reasonable explanation! :smiley: !aspRat2

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms