About 'Add Simple Score UI'!

In this video (objectives)…

1. Add a UI text element to our game.
  2. Overview the new Canvas object.
  3. Add a score and customise the font.

After watching (learning outcomes)…

Add UI text elements to the game, and position and scale them. Also find and use free custom fonts.

(Unique Video Reference: 29_AA_CU2)

We would love to know…

• What you found good about this lecture?
  • What we could do better?

Remember that you can reply to this topic, or create a new topic. The easiest way to create a new topic is to follow the link in Resources. That way the topic will…

• Be in the correct forum (for the course).
  • Be in the right sub-forum (for the section)
  • Have the correct lecture tag.

Enjoy your stay in our thriving community!

Sharing what i think is the best screenshot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plenty more to do, but posting a screenshot per the course instruction after adding the score placeholder :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Greetings All,

Just another update with a screen shot from gameplay. As always your feedback is more than welcome. :slight_smile:

Jenn

1 Like

I’m using light blue for my sci-fi font; it’s easier to see.

2 Likes

My first post here! Managed to pause right after blowing an enemy up in front of me, another one lurking through the obstacle round the corner.

I’m looking forward to sharing a video, once I sort out the bizarre super quick speed my player ship travels at for the first half of the circuit - I read somewhere that we will ditch the Unity circuit following camera for something else? I hope that’s the case!

Your game screenshot looks really cool.
Really like the environment and the explosion also the ship.
Did you manage to finish the game?

1 Like

A lot of great works in here, guys.
Nice job.
Would like to share my own scoreboard with a game view.

AA%20scoreboard

3 Likes

Any screenshot with some roll has got to be good… right?!

2 Likes

Thanks! I did post the final demo just before Christmas, not sure if you saw that link? I didn’t want to leave it public for too long due to copyright concerns. If you did want to try it, let me know.

I just realized you may have been talking about the other student who posted in response to my post so if you weren’t talking about mine then move along, nothing to see here haha.

Double checked and yes, it was your game screenshot that I really liked, with a cool looking scene (the one with the cubes sticking from all sides) and nice explosion.
Did you get it in unity asset store? I would really like to use the same one if you don’t mind.
The ship also looks good.
I searched through your activity and couldn’t find the post with your demo link. Maybe I am doing it wrong.
Anyways, if you’d like to share, I would love to try out your demo.

1 Like

I’ll post the link in the Facebook group again today. The trench was created from primitives in Unity - create some cubes, stretch them and colour them grey! The ship was a free model I found on a 3D model site (I forget which one now but most of them have good examples).

UIScene2

1 Like

My progress until now.

Here’s mine

I am not in the facebook group, so that’s why I missed it. Is there more activity going on there than in this forum?

It varies.

There are a lot of regulars in both mediums. One signficant difference is that the Facebook group, despite being private and members having to request access, tends to attract a lot of non-students, as such a lot of questions are unrelated to the course content.

The forum doesn’t typically seem to have the same issues and most questions are either course related, or, are from students who have taken the course and then start their own thing.

Pros and cons obviously, sometimes seeing questions outside of the course materials can also be beneficial as you can learn something new via proxy as it were. It is moderated very well and non-sense/advertising/spam gets squashed very quickly.

@Lee_Harris is one of the awesome regulars incidentally, if you join the group, be sure to do a search for his #iamadog posts too :slight_smile:

I wanted to join the facebook group for some time now. Its just my facebook account is a mess and I can’t decide if I should just delete it and create a new on Not sure if that is even allowed. I just googled that I can’t have 2 facebook profiles. That was my primary option.
I will have to figure this out.

If you are concerned about what other people may see you could just review your permissions on your existing FB account.

I don’t think there would be anything to stop you registering a second Facebook account if it was with a separate email address, it has been a long time since I registered so they may have improved the cleverness etc (perhaps a required mobile number and so on).

I can honestly say though that the only time I ever bothered looking at a group members profile was if they were sharing awesome content and
wanted to see what other stuff they worked on, or, if they were a nuiscense and needed booting :slight_smile:

Maybe I will try and create another account then.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms